New 3.5t tipper

jamesd

Personally i think finding a pick up that does the job today trouble free is near on a impossible task, all cars, vans, pick ups and trucks just seem to be full of electric this n that which all adds to problems, a lad i work with has a Ford Ranger that is approx 2yr old now and that has been back in god knows how many times now with several problems and all bar one have been electricail and the other is add blue related, I think the best pick ups where mid 90s - mid 2000s, they had sorted body n power issues out from the 80s and they where very limited with electrics back then, out of several vans and pick ups over the years by far the best one i have ever owned is a Cabstar bought it 12 yr ago and still have it and been very little trouble over the years till now as it has developed a elecrical short some where but it will get sorted, its 3ltr and pulls like a train and it has been used heavily but then its been looked after as well,

20160525_113109.jpg

• Like 1

13 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Personally i think finding a pick up that does the job today trouble free is near on a impossible task, all cars, vans, pick ups and trucks just seem to be full of electric this n that which all adds to problems, a lad i work with has a Ford Ranger that is approx 2yr old now and that has been back in god knows how many times now with several problems and all bar one have been electricail and the other is add blue related, I think the best pick ups where mid 90s - mid 2000s, they had sorted body n power issues out from the 80s and they where very limited with electrics back then, out of several vans and pick ups over the years by far the best one i have ever owned is a Cabstar bought it 12 yr ago and still have it and been very little trouble over the years till now as it has developed a elecrical short some where but it will get sorted, its 3ltr and pulls like a train and it has been used heavily but then its been looked after as well,

20160525_113109.jpg

If the reg on that trailer is the cab stars reg on its second MOT in 2008 it got clocked from 63,126 down to 29,230 someone has shaved 34,000 miles off normally people do it before it’s first mot 

Jack

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Jwoodgardenmaintenance said:

If the reg on that trailer is the cab stars reg on its second MOT in 2008 it got clocked from 63,126 down to 29,230 someone has shaved 34,000 miles off normally people do it before it’s first mot 

Jack

Quite aware of that Sherlock.

Have you got all the MOT certificates for it from its first one in 2004 ?

2004 showed 18k

2005 showed 24k

2006 showed 26k

2007 showed 63k

2008 showed 46k 

2009 showed 29k 

So what went wrong ? well i will tell you the original speedo went knackered so a replacment was fitted from a older truck, that didnt work proper as it was slow i,e doing 30 on the clock but nearer 40 hence 3pts and £60 at the time for previous owner, so another clock the same as original was borrowed out of a truck that was awaiting insurance clearance after being in a RTA, the original clock was repaired and refitted to the truck with its original mileage on it, but if you really want to be picky add 4700 miles to mileage it is now showing that is 78103, i Hope this helps you out with your investigation ,,

Edited by spuddog0507
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, spuddog0507 said:

Quite aware of that Sherlock.

Have you got all the MOT certificates for it from its first one in 2004 ?

2004 showed 18k

2005 showed 24k

2006 showed 26k

2007 showed 63k

2008 showed 46k 

2009 showed 29k 

So what went wrong ? well i will tell you the original speedo went knackered so a replacment was fitted from a older truck, that didnt work proper as it was slow i,e doing 30 on the clock but nearer 40 hence 3pts and £60 at the time for previous owner, so another clock the same as original was borrowed out of a truck that was awaiting insurance clearance after being in a RTA, the original clock was repaired and refitted to the truck with its original mileage on it, but if you really want to be picky add 4700 miles to mileage it is now showing that is 78103, i Hope this helps you out with your investigation ,,

Cheers case closed 🤙🏻

Jack

035981D2-045D-47A9-A482-06AC8F325019.png

Edited by Jwoodgardenmaintenance
Evidence

I know the whole which truck thing has been done to death before but for me I favour the one you ruled out! The Isuzu is more like a little lorry and as a result is more geared towards the role we do, I.e. overload trucks and pull heavy trailers! I was at a firm for six years that ran both Isuzus and transits and both had their pros and cons. Pros for the Isuzu is that they pull like trains, designed for work that we do and have great turning circles. With a 3.5t trailer behind it it didn’t struggle one bit. The downside is that servicing can be dearer as can parts. I agree with you that there is limited cab storage, mainly because you are sitting on the engine. They do have the overhead cubby holes which I found sufficient most of the time. I’m speaking from experience regarding a 06 and 63 plate trucks. These had the 3.0l engines, I know the newer models have the smaller engines like most modern trucks so not sure about the longevity of these.

Regarding transits I’ve always maintained that these are essentially plumbers vans that we bolt a massive chip box onto and expect them to perform. Yes they are the staple vehicle of many a tree surgeon but for me often struggle with large loads and clutches are made of paper by comparison to other makes and models. I had a 15 plate transit that chewed through a clutch bin under 20k. The under seat storage is handy, we used to keep items like extra long ropes and a small rigging kit in there out of eye sight which was handy.

Somebody I know has a Cabstar and whilst I think it is a fill in between the transit and Isuzu they like it. They have had some electrical issues with it, but to be fair you can get this with any make or model.

I suppose it comes down to what you do, if you run heavy and tow large trailers then I personally would look towards Isuzu for the reasons mentioned. If you undertake mainly small jobs with a 750kg chipper then maybe a transit will suffice. Too many choices nowadays.

If you want to keep your van for 10 years you can, it’s just that you’ll have to spend money on it at some point.

Now in a world where 10k gets you a very decent second hand one and lots of cheap credit available, there is no incentive to keep throwing money at an old one.

Edited by Mick Dempsey

There’s f-all decent for £10k second hand, prices are mental.

My 06 smiley would fetch that.

I’m talking about brand new trucks.

Dropping £40k on something that will have horrendous DEF issues that the manufacturer can’t fix.

ECU’s, LEZ, AC, ABS, ICBM, TNT etc.

Dropping in shitty little 1.9 lumps when they should be 3.0.

The future isn’t bright.

• Like 7