New 3.5t tipper

jamesd

I am in the market for a new truck (well new to me!). At the moment i've looked into the Isuzu grafters, nissan cabsters and Ford Transits.

I've kind of rulled out the Isuzu grafter due to lack of space to put things in the cab i.e no glove boxes etc. I do however like the cabster which is a pretty similar vehicle but has the extra cubby holes in the cab for bits and Ford transits which I have always had seem pretty similar to what i've had before.

Im looking at 15/16 reg vehicles so 5/6 years oldish. Is there anything I should know about the nissans or transits? I know the early 2.0litre transit engines had a few problems so will try get the old 2.2 version if i go that way.

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers,

James.

Had two Nissan Cabstar and would get a 3rd if they still made them. 

Easy to drive and great turning circle. 

Tows well. 

Will get into places that Transit will not. 

Has a legal load of at least a ton if not more depending on body. 

I brought new in 2008 and the only thing needed in 13 years are wearable parts and welding on the tipper body and under the front wheel arches. 

Will keep until it goes bang or the ulez gets extended. 

What ever truck you buy try and get a euro 6 engine to future proof. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, treevolution said:

Had two Nissan Cabstar and would get a 3rd if they still made them. 

Easy to drive and great turning circle. 

Tows well. 

Will get into places that Transit will not. 

Has a legal load of at least a ton if not more depending on body. 

I brought new in 2008 and the only thing needed in 13 years are wearable parts and welding on the tipper body and under the front wheel arches. 

Will keep until it goes bang or the ulez gets extended. 

What ever truck you buy try and get a euro 6 engine to future proof. 

Id have a nissan cabster for the right price over the new grafters purely due to the annoying lack of glove pockets etc in the isuzu.

Shame they stopped making them!

7 hours ago, Hinchy said:

Had the cabstar for 5 years now and wouldn't have another. Endless problems with it and nissan are as good as useless. 

I have had cabstar all my working life. Since they stopped making them, Nissan have almost washed their hands of any problems. I agree with you. Nothing but trouble. Seems to be all ad blue related.

• Like 1

I am in the market for a new truck (well new to me!). At the moment i've looked into the Isuzu grafters, nissan cabsters and Ford Transits.

I've kind of rulled out the Isuzu grafter due to lack of space to put things in the cab i.e no glove boxes etc. I do however like the cabster which is a pretty similar vehicle but has the extra cubby holes in the cab for bits and Ford transits which I have always had seem pretty similar to what i've had before.

Im looking at 15/16 reg vehicles so 5/6 years oldish. Is there anything I should know about the nissans or transits? I know the early 2.0litre transit engines had a few problems so will try get the old 2.2 version if i go that way.

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers,

James.

Forget the transit a friend of mine has one with a light metal tipping body and with 600kg he was over weight
A double cab your down to less than half tonne legally
Isuzu grafter or cabstars will carry close to the tonne
If single wheel, dual wheel your down another 150-200 kg
If Isuzu go for the 150 as they pull really well