home made chips (not albert bartlet)

betternextyear

Hi. found my way here from the farming forum. I am a farmer not a woodsman.

Are any of you guys making chip for your own heating with RHI?

Do we know how big of a pain in the arse Woodsure are going to be to us selfsuppiers?

I only produce about 10t a year, so am concerned I might have to have a very expensive fee to certify.

I thought woodsure scheme covered wood sales and not the actual burning of wood... so you can buy it all certified and nice in September, leave it outside till March and you are OK even if you can wring the moisture out of it. If you are not buying it then it is not relevant?

Might be something in it in the future if you buy unseasoned logs but for now your OK

• Like 1

On 06/01/2022 at 09:47, betternextyear said:

Hi. found my way here from the farming forum. I am a farmer not a woodsman.

Are any of you guys making chip for your own heating with RHI?

Do we know how big of a pain in the arse Woodsure are going to be to us selfsuppiers?

I only produce about 10t a year, so am concerned I might have to have a very expensive fee to certify.

Hi,

Sounds like you should actually be a BSL producer/ trader, if you are sourcing raw product in and processing it into a fuel. I don't believe you can be classed as a self supplier when its woodchip, only when its logs and waste. 

TBC regards what Woodsure will require from self suppliers. 

For Producer / Traders etc. you need to gain full woodsure accreditation - NOT the Ready to Burn one. With only 10t a year, its a bit onerous for you to be expected to register to that scheme. 

22 hours ago, Steven P said:

I thought woodsure scheme covered wood sales and not the actual burning of wood... so you can buy it all certified and nice in September, leave it outside till March and you are OK even if you can wring the moisture out of it. If you are not buying it then it is not relevant?

Might be something in it in the future if you buy unseasoned logs but for now your OK

It does cover sales - however the above is speaking of the new fuel quality regs coming into the RHI scheme, where if they have a BSL number, in order to retain that from 1st April, you need to have some form of fuel quality certification or practices in place, hence the woodsure scheme, even though using the fuel in your own appliance. 

16 hours ago, Adam T said:

It does cover sales - however the above is speaking of the new fuel quality regs coming into the RHI scheme, where if they have a BSL number, in order to retain that from 1st April, you need to have some form of fuel quality certification or practices in place, hence the woodsure scheme, even though using the fuel in your own appliance. 

I emailed woodsure and got a prompt reply. They are planning a scheme for small producers but dont have details yet. If it cant be done for less than £100 I will go my own way. Or complain to the authorities etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 06/01/2022 at 19:15, Steven P said:

Woodsure have been appointed the administrator of the BSL scheme.  For all those claiming RHI they have to get their fuel from a BSL registered source and account for the amount of fuel used and where it has been supplied from. Even if you used your own fuel in your own boiler then if you claimed RHI you have to be BSL registered as a self supplier and able to show your self supply is from sustainable resources. What has recently changed on the BSL scheme is a requirement to have your wood certified as meeting the appropriate timber standard which will be carried out at a cost which you will have to pay. If you refuse to have your timber tested or the sample fails then your approved timber product will be removed off the list and you will not be able to use that fuel to claim RHI.