Battery polesaw

Ty Korrigan

Hello,

Any feedback on battery polesaws?

I currently run a 2009 Stihl whose model number is lost to memory.

A couple of shaft changes where employees have dropped branches on it, a new carb and tappet adjustment plus a cracked head, it has had a hard life but proved a usefull tool hacking back overhanging skinny branches or crown raising less valuable subjects not worth climbing.

I intend to sell it before the shaft bearings give out again. I don't like that job one bit.

Battery appeals as the shaft is lighter, only having a cable inside and no propshaft and bearings.

Motor is of course in the head.

Thanks

Stuart

I've owned a Husqvarna 536LiPt5 its the telescopic saw since 2017, it replaced my power pruner badged petrol machine.  Been very happy with it, battery life good, enough power....no fumes, no twisting torque when you open up the throttle seems well made, though only used by me a few times a year...I use the Husqvarna cordless pro machines when I can.

• Like 1

I never considered the twisting torque but yes, good point.

The lack of bearings which are vulnerable to water ingress appeals.

If I had a large clean workshop, I might be tempted to give replacing them a go.

I tried the first time they gave out and failed in my mission so resorted to buying a fresh shaft unit.

Stuart

4 hours ago, aswales said:

I've owned a Husqvarna 536LiPt5 its the telescopic saw since 2017, it replaced my power pruner badged petrol machine.  Been very happy with it, battery life good, enough power....no fumes, no twisting torque when you open up the throttle seems well made, though only used by me a few times a year...I use the Husqvarna cordless pro machines when I can.

+1 for this machine; it's excellent.  The battery gives 50 minutes of cutting time.  If you average 4-5 seconds a cut (who knows really?) that's a lot of cuts.  The chain oils very freely.

The only thing I don't like is the branch retrieval hook; it's useless but I guess it may be designed that way to protect the shaft from over eager users (hookers? 😂)

• Haha 1

We got some Panther Mini bars for the Husky pole saws if anyone fancies trying them [I think they already run a 1/4 chain so no need to change the drive sprocket].

I see Husky now have the 120iTK4-P and 120iTK4-PH - anyone got one of these and does it come with a 1/4 drive sprocket? [seems to say either 1/4 or 3/8 lo pro on the Husky site].

image.thumb.png.23aac764e8547c72ede01649a2fe89d9.png

I've got the 530iPT5 which gets you up about 5 metres and is incredibly useful. Its better than any petrol ones I have used and it cuts through big old branches.... about 10" and probably more, haven't measured the largest ones I've cut but its big. 

A panther bar on that would be a good idea indeed. Probably the longer the better, it cuts great and hardly uses any battery really with the big husky batteries. I'm pretty sure it's got the 1/4" drive sprocket. :thumbup1:

10 minutes ago, Will C said:

I’ve used the Stihl battery extending one. Far better than it’s petrol equivalent. My only complaint is the shaft got pulled apart once from to much hook action. 

Do you know if the motor and head can easily be detached from the shaft?

Storage/transport...

Not easy, the cable is like a bungee, to remove the head you would need to strip the head and tie the cable on so it doesn’t disappear back to the handle. 

28 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

Do you know if the motor and head can easily be detached from the shaft?

Storage/transport...