Another which stove?

15 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I'd recommend room sealing whenever possible if you have a reasonably modern airtight house, even for a smaller stove.

We also have a solid fuel cooker to heat water and there used to be issues trying to have it and the fire which the Burley replaced burning at the same time. Even if you didn't have another stove there's always issues with extractor fans, even outside doors opening and closing causing back draughts and such like.

A room seal kit sorts out all those problems in one go.

That's another big plus for the Burley, namely that it's design accommodates room sealing so readily.

I agree on all points but it's often the fact that initial extra cost will never be recouped that militates against installing room sealed. My house is quite draughty and with solid walls so not well insulated and cutting through the wall and then 6ft of solid floor is not to be lightly undertaken.

• Like 1

1930s built house, designed to ventilate and be benefitted ventilated by 5 fireplaces and a range cooker.  I've found opening 2 fireplaces, running stoves taking room air, has significantly reduced damp issues.  The option of outside air is good though.

Yes that's the one.  The burley and others (eg the barbas insert mum put in recently) have the same air inlets, just one lever to control the 2/3.

The Stockton is pretty well built and I think with out the smoke control kit it's probably controllable. with it I basically have to control it by log type, size and number.  For example I've burnt lots of very well seasoned pine this winter, it's dry and very resinous. I can put a single large piece in and the flue temp goes to 500C, all vents as closed as can be isn't enough.  The result is it's been overfired a fair bit over 5.5 years and ~35³. The plate at the back which is part of the smoke kit, where the heated secondary air enters, has completely burnt away and it was 4-5mm thick cast iron!  I'm currently finding the air wash control very sticky/jammy. It's obviously warped.  The baffle has faired ok... Warped loads and I took it to my chopping block and went at it with a club hammer to straighten it, but it's not burnt away yet.   Rest seems ok, no sign of wear.  So it's not bad, but it's just there are better out there.

I have the Stockton 5 and removed the smoke control kit for your reasons stated above, its a different fire altogether, so much more control with it. Burning softwoods i shut it right down, it ticks over spot on. Burning hardwoods i have it open only slightly (5-6mm) and again ticks over spot on, i think its a cracking little stove.