Another which stove?

Like gimlet I have a Stockton 5 but with the smoke control kit to get DEFRA exemption.  That makes it much less controllable   it's been decent but is now showing it's age. It's  6 winters old this winter and having been used as the primary heat source gets lit every day and burns 6-8 M3 /winter so it's not unreasonable that is suffering, but I'd look at others for the next stove.

32 minutes ago, neiln said:

Like gimlet I have a Stockton 5 but with the smoke control kit to get DEFRA exemption.  That makes it much less controllable   it's been decent but is now showing it's age. It's  6 winters old this winter and having been used as the primary heat source gets lit every day and burns 6-8 M3 /winter so it's not unreasonable that is suffering, but I'd look at others for the next stove.

Is this the one, like my grand daughter's, which has three air controls, a slider underneath for secondary air and sliders on or above the door for primary and secondary? I have never played with the controls but it is so different from what the Burley has, as described by @Stubby.

Conventional wisdom is that the primary air is necessary for burning coal, a primary air control is part of the control on my Morso 11 but as it is never used because I only burn wood the airway gets blocked by ash.

Yes that's the one.  The burley and others (eg the barbas insert mum put in recently) have the same air inlets, just one lever to control the 2/3.

The Stockton is pretty well built and I think with out the smoke control kit it's probably controllable. with it I basically have to control it by log type, size and number.  For example I've burnt lots of very well seasoned pine this winter, it's dry and very resinous. I can put a single large piece in and the flue temp goes to 500C, all vents as closed as can be isn't enough.  The result is it's been overfired a fair bit over 5.5 years and ~35³. The plate at the back which is part of the smoke kit, where the heated secondary air enters, has completely burnt away and it was 4-5mm thick cast iron!  I'm currently finding the air wash control very sticky/jammy. It's obviously warped.  The baffle has faired ok... Warped loads and I took it to my chopping block and went at it with a club hammer to straighten it, but it's not burnt away yet.   Rest seems ok, no sign of wear.  So it's not bad, but it's just there are better out there.

I have a small 5kw clearview and my father has two 8kw ones.  No problems to report in many years (mine is now at ~7 years and dads is at a LOT more than that).

Mine has a smoke control kit on it and I too have to control heat output primarily by number and type of logs but it is not uncontrollable.  Shut down the air and it does slow it down.  Just once I think I have had it get WAY too hot and I simply opened the door.  Sounds odd but seems that combination of a LOT of air and a lot more radiated heat brings down the flue temps.  Only problem is a slight warping of the baffle plate but it causes no issues at the moment and is easily replaced if it gets worse.

Rob

P.S. The air inlet for the smoke control is easily located and could be blocked very easily on my stove if I desired but I have not felt the need to do that.

P.P.S. I get through about 3 Cube a year as it is not my only heat source.

Edited by Rob_the_Sparky

I have a small 5kw clearview and my father has two 8kw ones.  No problems to report in many years (mine is now at ~7 years and dads is at a LOT more than that).

Mine has a smoke control kit on it and I too have to control heat output primarily by number and type of logs but it is not uncontrollable.  Shut down the air and it does slow it down.  Just once I think I have had it get WAY too hot and I simply opened the door.  Sounds odd but seems that combination of a LOT of air and a lot more radiated heat brings down the flue temps.  Only problem is a slight warping of the baffle plate but it causes no issues at the moment and is easily replaced if it gets worse.

Rob

P.S. The air inlet for the smoke control is easily located and could be blocked very easily on my stove if I desired but I have not felt the need to do that.

P.P.S. I get through about 3 Cube a year as it is not my only heat source.

IMHO Clearview are as good as it gets it terms of airwash and clean burn. Have had Vision 500 and Pioneer 400 over the years.
I managed to pickup one of the last 9kw Woodwarm Fireviews available just before Christmas, after they stopped production (at a really good price).
Option B would definitely have been a Clearview Vision 500.

I don’t believe Clearview have any new models that are Ecodesign 2022 compliant, which is a shame really as I’ve found ours to be excellent. Neighbours have a Clearview Vision and 650 which are both work great after 25 years of use. 

Edited by Dazza95
  • Like 1

I don’t believe Clearview have any new models that are Ecodesign 2022 compliant, which is a shame really as I’ve found ours to be excellent. Neighbours have a Clearview Vision and 650 which are both work great after 25 years of use. 

Both the Clearview Vision and Woodwarm Fireview don’t meet any eco standard but are great stoves.
Says it it all really! More green smoke and mirrors bollocks!![emoji849]

On 05/01/2022 at 20:48, openspaceman said:

Yours is room sealed isn't it @Stubby? I.e. all the combustion air id from outside and no air from the room goes into the stove?

Is that bottom leaver what controls the air and is that full open when over to the right?

I've the 8kw version, room sealed which is just as you say, you only draw in cold air for combustion and no room air goes in to the stove.

Been in 8 or 9yrs now and has been equally faultless and impressive.

Couldn't recommend them enough for anyone wanting a proper wood-burner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, coppice cutter said:

I've the 8kw version, room sealed which is just as you say, you only draw in cold air for combustion and no room air goes in to the stove.

Been in 8 or 9yrs now and has been equally faultless and impressive.

Couldn't recommend them enough for anyone wanting a proper wood-burner.

I would go for room sealed once the stove needs be over the 5kW threshold for providing an air vent. Lots to like about the Burleys but I doubt I'll need to buy another stove.

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

I would go for room sealed once the stove needs be over the 5kW threshold for providing an air vent. Lots to like about the Burleys but I doubt I'll need to buy another stove.

I'd recommend room sealing whenever possible if you have a reasonably modern airtight house, even for a smaller stove.

We also have a solid fuel cooker to heat water and there used to be issues trying to have it and the fire which the Burley replaced burning at the same time. Even if you didn't have another stove there's always issues with extractor fans, even outside doors opening and closing causing back draughts and such like.

A room seal kit sorts out all those problems in one go.

That's another big plus for the Burley, namely that it's design accommodates room sealing so readily.

• Like 1