240v motor to power a pto driven splitter

Stihl1345

You're limited on the amount of power you can get out of a 240v socket, even blue 16A is only around 3 or 4 hp which is enough to run a log splitter but never compete with an engine or 3 phase one.

Getting beyond that current limit would require more complicated electrics and work out more expensive than a small petrol engine so that's what people usually do.

Have you already got the PTO splitter then?

• Like 1

Doubtful. My wee electric splitter is 3kw, 240 domestic at 13 amps. It came with a 15 amp plug, and I was told I'd have to install a 15 amp socket. My electrician friend looked at it and metered it and said no, it will run from a regular 13 amp plug, and the breakers at the fusebord are 20 amp, but it's close to maxing out the plug fuse. At 3kw mine is equivalent to 4 HP.... Think about it.... Domestic is limited to about 10kw I think. That's like 12hp. What HP does your tractor produce? 

Any size motor will run it but it would have to be geared down. You could run it on 1/2 hp but it would take 2 days to do a stroke (-:

The higher the horse power, the less the need for lower pulley ratio, but equals more volume, but higher ampage.

Like Hairs said above, 32amp domestic wont give you anywhere near a tractor hp.

I have a log splitter that is powered by a single cylinder petter diesel engine about 5hp, it runs for 7/8hrs and it wont use a gallon of diesel, OK its not supper powerful but does 98% of what i ask of it and is quicker than most, 12" stroke and 5 seconds from rest back to rest,  when i built it about 12yr ago it was designed with production in mind,  

20160805_160531.jpg

IMAG0291.JPG

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Nice setup. I'd like to get more stroke speed out of my splitter. Was thinking about downgrading to a smaller diameter ram. Trade power for speed.

I think the outside diameter of ram is 70/80 mm and rod will be 30mm, i looked at one some one had bought from a proper manufacturer with bigger ram and longer stoke with auto return so you allways had to wait for it, and it was either piped to a tractor or a bobcat,i thought both there power supplies where a bit on the expensive side, compared to £80 for my engine and £65 for pump and coupling,

The OP doesn't want to run his tractor all day to split wood. But at the end of the day, you get out what you put in, right? Bigger power plant, more flow, faster stroke, more wood split per hour. Still takes the same amount of energy to split a cord of wood, just a question of how fast one wants to get through it. If time is money, then the faster the better, provided you can physically keep up your end of the operation. The nice thing about electric is it's quite, so I can listen to my tunes or whatever. Also can work indoors without gasing myself. If working at a client's property, they pay the electric bill, not me. It's a hidden cost to them that doesn't appear on the bill, whereas if it was a petrol splitter, I'd have to factor in the fuel cost (not that it would be much though)... Reliable, maintenance free. Cheap to replace the motor if it ever blows up. Cheaper initial cost. Those are the advantages. There are downsides too ..

5 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

I have a log splitter that is powered by a single cylinder petter diesel engine about 5hp, it runs for 7/8hrs and it wont use a gallon of diesel, OK its not supper powerful but does 98% of what i ask of it and is quicker than most, 12" stroke and 5 seconds from rest back to rest,  when i built it about 12yr ago it was designed with production in mind,  

20160805_160531.jpg

IMAG0291.JPG

Every time I use my Lister generator I’m amazed how little fuel it uses. 

• Like 1