Sharpening, Oregon 410 - Getting to Proper Guide Depth?

FlyFishn

2 hours ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'm still bothered by this.

If it's true that the depth gauge should be at 0.045 when the cutter is worn, then my chains which I file with a constant 0.025 should be cutting almost nothing. That is not my experience, they seem to cut just fine all the way to the end of the chain.

I also don't buy the argument about the contact point tipping over the back rivet, most of the force in the chain is tension and reaction force in the opposite direction to that from the cutters. The implication here is that the tooth will be rotating so that the raker lifts up off the bar, to reduce the cutter engagement. Can't see that happening.

Smells a bit of marketing and how things have always been done rather than proper explanation of forces and actions.

I've come across this before, never tried it, personally. I can't tell the difference between a nearly used-up chain and a new one, with the deapth gauges set the same (both properly sharp). It feels like it would be a pain to have to incorporate this into the filing schedule. Anyone actually do this, and notice a benefit?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I've come across this before, never tried it, personally. I can't tell the difference between a nearly used-up chain and a new one, with the deapth gauges set the same (both properly sharp). It feels like it would be a pain to have to incorporate this into the filing schedule. Anyone actually do this, and notice a benefit?

I'm of the same thinking except the almost used up chain ( when properly sharpened ) cuts a tad faster than a new one .

Used chain is  cutting faster than brand a new one, and the lower rakers/plus angled front of rakers seems too of improved the chain most for boring and felling cuts, it  seems like there is less "chatter".

For  snedding & cross cutting was abit less of a  difference/improvement that I could notice

Not very scientific, but that was just what i  noticed since I tried that stihl progressive raker guide thingymajig

95TXL chain sharpened using file in a holder

re doing the rakers took prob less than 5 mins on a 15" bar and is  not needed every sharpen.

If it's true that the depth gauge should be at 0.045 when the cutter is worn, then my chains which I file with a constant 0.025 should be cutting almost nothing.

No idea about teh science explainations in the carlton guide...or marketing

Was cutting ok before but now its better. Thought the  lower raker might of made it grabby but it didn't....

Edited by Stere