Cricket bat willow wanted

Badgerland

As title says, I’m after a small amount of cricket bat willow for basket making. Can be flexible on the size, but preferably 4-5 foot long lengths x 12-24 inch diameter. Might consider other sizes - it just depends on what’s about. The sizes I’ve quoted allow me to break it down into smaller billets on my Logosol farmers chainsaw mill before it goes over the table saw.

The finished splints are between 2.5-1 inch wide x 3/16 thick x 8 inches long once they’ve been machined down so the wood does need to be clean and free of major knots. (Smaller ones I can usually work around.)

I’m based in mid-Wilts so local would be preferable, but appreciate I/the timber might have to travel.

Thanks in advance

Dave

image.thumb.jpeg.28c5d6641d7de6d785e309a92b1fb26a.jpeg

I have some which might fit what you are looking for - two failed bat willows grown for J.S.Wright which were not maintained properly before we bought our place so don't have enough clear lengths to make sufficient clefts to justify harvesting but I think will have what you need.

There are two logistical challenges. The first is that they need to be felled - coordination with @AHPP needed here. The second is that they are in North Essex, but it does look like I will need to drive down to Devon with the plant trailer at some point in the next few months.

There are a few unknowns in the above, but if it comes together it might work?

Alec

On 04/01/2022 at 17:21, agg221 said:

I have some which might fit what you are looking for - two failed bat willows grown for J.S.Wright which were not maintained properly before we bought our place so don't have enough clear lengths to make sufficient clefts to justify harvesting but I think will have what you need.

There are two logistical challenges. The first is that they need to be felled - coordination with @AHPP needed here. The second is that they are in North Essex, but it does look like I will need to drive down to Devon with the plant trailer at some point in the next few months.

There are a few unknowns in the above, but if it comes together it might work?

Alec

pm sent.

On 04/01/2022 at 15:21, Badgerland said:

As title says, I’m after a small amount of cricket bat willow for basket making. Can be flexible on the size, but preferably 4-5 foot long lengths x 12-24 inch diameter. Might consider other sizes - it just depends on what’s about. The sizes I’ve quoted allow me to break it down into smaller billets on my Logosol farmers chainsaw mill before it goes over the table saw.

The finished splints are between 2.5-1 inch wide x 3/16 thick x 8 inches long once they’ve been machined down so the wood does need to be clean and free of major knots. (Smaller ones I can usually work around.)

I’m based in mid-Wilts so local would be preferable, but appreciate I/the timber might have to travel.

Thanks in advance

Dave

image.thumb.jpeg.28c5d6641d7de6d785e309a92b1fb26a.jpeg

Lovely baskets.  Are they ones you made?  What species of Willow do you need?  Or is it more to do with having clean lengths?

You lot are thinking of the same chap but wrong name , Richard Fordham he past away last year but company is still being ran by the lads that worked for him. Cut all the willows in the stour valley for Wright's.. 

Edited by woody paul