tomorrow reduction..lime with TPO

Gareth 85

1 minute ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Water filled cavities are no bad thing, the water stops fungal decay in the rot pocket.

Or so I’m told, unless anyone can correct me on that?

not too sure..I have heard different from different arborist or agents, I think that it would generally depend on where it is located in the tree..

but I do think the tension wood is often stronger that the original wood.

8 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

I’d be well happy with that Gareth, looks great.

Tough climbing, and thinking, for sure.

I bet yours will be a lot different Mick, client demanding ‘value for money’.

Thanks i definitely enjoyed working in this one, it was tiring, especially the long taller vertical sections without gaffs and virtually nothing to stand on to give the legs a break lol

at one point I had 3 climbing lines to get to the tops.

the pictures don't show how wide the canopy really is.

also lots and lots of epicormic

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gareth 85 said:

not too sure..I have heard different from different arborist or agents, I think that it would generally depend on where it is located in the tree..

but I do think the tension wood is often stronger that the original wood.

anaerobic conditions, i.e. no or little oxygen present, is not conducive to fungal activity / decay development (water doesn't cause decay in live wood.) Hence water filled is good...until you dip your hand in there by accident :/ 

Re-the crown reduction spec, BS3998 suggest that a 30% crown volume reduction is approx. equivalent to a 12% linear reduction (hence 40% could be upto 15% linear, I think) BUT the standard advocates a measured reduction, e.g. CR height by 4m and spread by 2m OR CR to finished height of 16m by spread 12m - this is just an example (in theory TPO'd trees should be spec'd / consented by the latter, finished dimensions, so the LPA can measure what you've done / left behind, rather than what you've taken off.

Hoping the above makes sense.

Cheers,

Paul  

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

anaerobic conditions, i.e. no or little oxygen present, is not conducive to fungal activity / decay development (water doesn't cause decay in live wood.) Hence water filled is good...until you dip your hand in there by accident :/ 

Re-the crown reduction spec, BS3998 suggest that a 30% crown volume reduction is approx. equivalent to a 12% linear reduction (hence 40% could be upto 15% linear, I think) BUT the standard advocates a measured reduction, e.g. CR height by 4m and spread by 2m OR CR to finished height of 16m by spread 12m - this is just an example (in theory TPO'd trees should be spec'd / consented by the latter, finished dimensions, so the LPA can measure what you've done / left behind, rather than what you've taken off.

Hoping the above makes sense.

Cheers,

Paul  

yeah that makes sense because the last lime i did a reduction on the spec where reduction of height by 8 metres because it had grown tall reaching between two sycamores and another big ash was saying to reduce it in metres and they attached photos of the tree with lines edited exactly where the cuts needed to be.

imo there's too much of a grey area regarding reduction specs and sometimes customers get a tree report done and see 30% and then they assume that means nearly 30ft off a 90ft tree. 

I've also been on site for the forestry commission and they have said to do reductions on quite a few trees and they have specifically said take off 5% of each leaf bearing branch or the very last significant points of growth and I mean nearly every piece taken off is the diameter of your thumb..

but I did get the sense that some of these reductions where just to spend money to ensure next year's funding.

and coronation ( I think) cuts...done a few of those for the forestry commission 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Puffingbilly413 said:

Some very skilful work there.  Impressive.

Out of interest, did you get to see the original justification for works?  Just curious as to the height in the canopy where those cavities are (hard to work out exactly from the pics).

thanks...really appreciate everyone's feedback 🙏 

yeah I did read it and it was a single a4 letter to the customer who dealt with the tree officer. 

it literally said crown reduction of up to 40%, thinned canopy and 4 meters crown lift,  didnt mention dead wood on the letter , only in person was that mentioned.

hes actually been sub contractor to the two local borough councils for over 21 years and the customer said he retired from the position this year and only does choice private jobs or reports.

my old boss had him do work for us whist we where doing tree work on building sites for companies like redrow homes, barrets and St modwens.

I I did find it pretty non specific and wondered if it had been purposely left vague to avoid being restricted in options provided we didn't use it as an excuse to take the piss 🤔 

the cavities where at various heights the biggest being around 15ft high and the two in the one photo where they are at different heights where around 35 ft to 45ft up and the other fairly large one was again around the 40ft point with multiple smaller ones around 60ft or more.

ill attach a photo of some of the cuts from years before I had worked on this tree, these where right at the top and a lot of these cuts where poorly done with a few step cuts left without a finishing cut

20220104_110909.jpg

• Like 1