Plastic pallets as base for a log store

djbobbins

I’m thinking of building a new log store and want to get the logs up off the floor.

For reasons not to be explored here, the log store needs to be something that can be moved if necessary - so a concrete base and telegraph poles sunk into the ground are definitely out!

What I was thinking of is getting some plastic pallets (seem to be available for £3 each on Facebook for the 1.2m x 1m) for the base, then normal pallets for sides and back, then a tarp or other covering to keep the rain off.

Anyone got any experience of something similar - specifically, how robust the plastic pallets are?

Next step would be to get some IBC cages and stack them double height on the pallets to keep the whole thing a bit more stable rather than needing to stack the logs v. neatly!!

IBC have bases that lift the logs off the floor anyway. No need for a pallet under them. Make hats for the IBCs from the plastic liner 

Edit. If you do use plastic pallets they are variable in quality. I have some which we built movable raised beds on that have been bullet proof but others seems to suffer with UV and become brittle. 

Edited by Woodworks

14 hours ago, djbobbins said:

I’m thinking of building a new log store and want to get the logs up off the floor.

For reasons not to be explored here, the log store needs to be something that can be moved if necessary - so a concrete base and telegraph poles sunk into the ground are definitely out!

What I was thinking of is getting some plastic pallets (seem to be available for £3 each on Facebook for the 1.2m x 1m) for the base, then normal pallets for sides and back, then a tarp or other covering to keep the rain off.

Anyone got any experience of something similar - specifically, how robust the plastic pallets are?

Next step would be to get some IBC cages and stack them double height on the pallets to keep the whole thing a bit more stable rather than needing to stack the logs v. neatly!!

I did this exact thing, plastic pallet base with wooden pallet sides and a sheet of plastic for the roof as wanted something that wouldnt rot, and only about an hour to build.   Worked well, base didnt break but then i wasnt moving it.  Got fed up stacking logs in there and wasnt big enough so built a very large multi compartment logshed with galvanised metal stillages as base and metal mesh fencing as sides, similar to your ibc idea can just throw them in.  If you're only occasionally having a fire and get through 1-2m³ a yr 1st idea is fine, any more then go for the ibc set up.  I put mine on some concrete blocks and didnt bother with plastic pallet under the metal.

2 hours ago, timberonabike said:

If it's a larger volume you need, you could use Heras fencing for the sides and tarp over the top.

Any pallets to get it off the floor will do, as you've gathered wooden ones will rot and plastic ones degrade.

of course, depends where you site the pallet a wooden one - often available for free - can last several years. My raised beds were not treated and the internal wood from pallets lasted about 8 years buried in soil (I had partitioned them to stop the mint spreading to much).

If you are going to potentially gong to move the log store by the way? If you would move it by hand then it won't matter much what is under it, and at the end of the winter when it is empty you can replace any rotted and free wood pallets easy enough, but if you have a machine to help then try the plastic pallets.

of course, depends where you site the pallet a wooden one - often available for free - can last several years. My raised beds were not treated and the internal wood from pallets lasted about 8 years buried in soil (I had partitioned them to stop the mint spreading to much).

If you are going to potentially gong to move the log store by the way? If you would move it by hand then it won't matter much what is under it, and at the end of the winter when it is empty you can replace any rotted and free wood pallets easy enough, but if you have a machine to help then try the plastic pallets.

Hopefully I won’t have to move the log store, but there is a risk that I might - hence the decision about not sinking poles into the ground / laying concrete. Any moving that will get done will be by hand only though.

I think I’ll gather some wooden pallets for the sides and back, then lay out a few quid for plastic ones. That should give me enough storage capacity to lay up a couple of winters’ worth of wood.

IBC cages and Heras panels may come at a later date.

Thanks to your good self and everyone else who chipped in, much appreciated :-)

Another easily available free building material is broken 3" square fence posts.  Most are over 6' long and in good condition where they were above ground.  As they are treated they last longer than pallets.  I have used these are the structure for my small log racks (0.7-1m^3) (painted pallet planks for the sides).  The only pain is that the fence posts tend to be twisted so you have to figure out how to use them without this being an issue.

I see no reason to sink anything into the ground as these are pretty heavy on their own and very heavy with logs in them.  I have stood mine on slabs (just laid straight on the ground) to minimise rot.  Built the first one about 4 years ago now and no sign of any rot yet.