Husqvarna 266xp not starting

sandycb

9 minutes ago, sandycb said:

So, managed to get a pressure test at local shop. It came up as 120psi. A bit low for a 266 (67cc) but should at least start, but nothing.

Stumped! 

Do you mean a pressure test or a compression test ?  If its a compression test it should be at least 160 psi . 120 psi might not support combustion .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Do you mean a pressure test or a compression test ?  If its a compression test it should be at least 160 psi . 120 psi might not support combustion .

Hi Stubby - sorry, compression test.  Yes, I was expecting it to be a bit higher, but they reckoned it would start at 120.  But I'd be more comfortable if north of 150.  Certainly I seem to remember that the pull cord could rip my fingers off especially when cold but now it's just a good hard pull.  Not sure what else could have gone when it overheated....perhaps I just need to seal the gaskets with some motoseal (and perhaps strip and clean the carb, although that's not a pressure thing).  Otherwise the old girl may be retired......

1 hour ago, sandycb said:

Hi Stubby - sorry, compression test.  Yes, I was expecting it to be a bit higher, but they reckoned it would start at 120.  But I'd be more comfortable if north of 150.  Certainly I seem to remember that the pull cord could rip my fingers off especially when cold but now it's just a good hard pull.  Not sure what else could have gone when it overheated....perhaps I just need to seal the gaskets with some motoseal (and perhaps strip and clean the carb, although that's not a pressure thing).  Otherwise the old girl may be retired......

Two other things you can do are a vac test and a pressure test but I still think for compression 120 psi is not enough . Have you done as ADW suggested and checked to see if the fly wheel key has sheared putting it out of time ?

15 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Two other things you can do are a vac test and a pressure test but I still think for compression 120 psi is not enough . Have you done as ADW suggested and checked to see if the fly wheel key has sheared putting it out of time ?

Thanks  - had to work hard to find someone with a compression tester, so not sure if I can do the same for a vac test/pressure test...I did see what ADW suggested but tbh I lost the thread, and am probably not able to do a bottom end rebuild.  Top end was about my limit!🤥

4 hours ago, sandycb said:

Thanks  - had to work hard to find someone with a compression tester, so not sure if I can do the same for a vac test/pressure test...I did see what ADW suggested but tbh I lost the thread, and am probably not able to do a bottom end rebuild.  Top end was about my limit!🤥

You don't have to split the crankcases to check the flywheel . Take the starter cover off and there it is . You might need a puller to remove it as it is locked on a taper . Once off you will be able to see if the key has sheared .