Husqvarna 266xp not starting

sandycb

I managed to 'cook' my Husky (not sure if wrong mix or jets not set up right) and had to replace the pot and cylinder. Local shop could not repair its as it's too old to get OEM spares. I got some AM parts and fitted them all fine. Kept the original carburetor. It still won't start. Seems to be sparking fine and it feels grunty to pull the cord (don't have a compression tester though). Put a tiny bit of fuel down its throat and tried that.... won't so much as cough. 

Any ideas? It's a great saw but have already spent £50 on diagnosis, another £50 on parts so there's a risk of throwing good money after bad. Against that, an equivalent new saw is about £600-£800 I'm told. Help! 

Most issues are carb/fuel system related. A holed fuel line, old fuel filter, blocked tank breather or blocked carb gauze strainer may be the issue. Other than that, a really bad air leak can cause starting issues. 

I am assuming that with the saw seizing, it is unlikely that the coil or plug somehow failed in the rebuild process.

Probably worth changing the plug as it gets a lot of vapourised aluminium on it when a saw seizes and can make the spark fail under compression.

Is the plug getting damp with the attempted starting?  

Fuel down the inlet I would expect it to fire, the 266 has a steel woodruff key, but can still shear, so flywheel off and check, a crank seal completely fallen out? The new cylinder did it have the correct orientation to the induction block? I only ask as the 61 and 268 were the opposite way round, was the cylinder open or closed transfer port?

37 minutes ago, adw said:

Fuel down the inlet I would expect it to fire, the 266 has a steel woodruff key, but can still shear, so flywheel off and check, a crank seal completely fallen out? The new cylinder did it have the correct orientation to the induction block? I only ask as the 61 and 268 were the opposite way round, was the cylinder open or closed transfer port?

Well done, that has probably scared him off:hmmmm2:

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, spudulike said:

Most issues are carb/fuel system related. A holed fuel line, old fuel filter, blocked tank breather or blocked carb gauze strainer may be the issue. Other than that, a really bad air leak can cause starting issues. 

I am assuming that with the saw seizing, it is unlikely that the coil or plug somehow failed in the rebuild process.

Probably worth changing the plug as it gets a lot of vapourised aluminium on it when a saw seizes and can make the spark fail under compression.

12 hours ago, spudulike said:

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. Got a bit of lost in some of it but I think the starting point is a pressure test and if it is low work back from that. Any guidance on what I should expect from a 266 xp? I did change the plug as suggested but no joy. I should probably have a look at the carb bit wanted to do the pressure test first to save me wasting time if the pressure was too low.