Available for work - North/East Yorks

Chris Sheppard

Couple of bits to add to the original post:

After chatting with one of my former colleagues this week, we might be available as a two man foresty team for a time if that might be of interest to anyone?  We have worked alongside each other for most of the last three years on a wide variety of timber.  He hasn't spent so much time on machines but is competant at winch work (especially edge trees) and recently was getting some time in the tractor and forwarding trailer and is keen to learn more.

In answer to the reasoning for such a small working radius at the moment - it's mainly because my Wife is currently nearly 33 weeks pregnant so I could do to be not a million miles from home just for a bit in case bump decides it's coming early.  I omitted that bit out before as I was only a three legged dog and a broken guitar string away from it sounding like a bad Country song....

Also, thanks for all the support from everyone behind the scenes - the PM's, texts and phone calls from both new and old have cheered me right up.

Edited by Chris Sheppard
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 03/01/2022 at 14:33, Chris Sheppard said:

Due to unexpectedly and suddenly being made redundant on New Years' Day due to the company I worked for going into liquidation, I'm currently in the exciting position of working out how to keep busy again and the wolf from the door.

I have worked with trees for just over 20 years now and at most stages of their lives, from planting, cleaning, thinning and clearfell, but also processing such as milling (various woodmizer type bandmills) and the usuals such as firewood.

I have spent most of that time self employed (until this last role) and have worked as a 'saw for hire' through to buying/selling standing and owning/maintaining my own machines in the past.

My most recent role (3 years) was as lead of a small team of between 2-3 cutting mostly firewood, sawlogs and softwood chip with me spending less time felling and more time spent either forwarding out (Valtra and Botex) or running the Hypro 455 processor or in the yard on the Woodmizer.  

Forestry has made up the biggest part of my time in trees, mostly motor manual felling (also including tractor mounted processor) and tractor with winch or trailer based extraction and have experience in both hard (including high value saw logs) and softwood, most terrains (including SSSI's) and have spent as much time using compact machinery as I have with the more usual sized ones.  

Whilst I don't consider myself to be an arborist (and I do not climb) I had a period of around 8 years where I was working with a tree surgeon quite regularly and as well as the usual conny bashing and garden trees, we would often get the trees the other local guys couldn't do (the 3120 got sent up the tree at least once) so am comfortable with lowering (albeit I haven't done any regularly for the last 3 years or so).

I have CS30, CS31, CS36, 0021-03 (Assisted Felling), 0021-11 (felling over 380mm) and don't required a refresher until late 2024, as well as a +F first aid certificate (I'll have to check dates but is still valid at moment) and All Terrain Vehicle Handling (overdue a refresher though).

I do not have any FMOC, likewise I do not have a Chipper qualification but so far this has never been a problem.

Ido not have experience of driving purpose built, but have spent time workng modern Valtra and trailer based set up so would be keen to make the progression to purpose built.

Full, clean, UK driving license and also have provisional entitlement for C1, C and CE

I have my own saws, PPE etc and should have some more transport organised shortly.