D009 bar on a K095 mount head?

FlyFishn

Now, pictures are for illustration purposes. That dont mean I'm in favour of risking your saw for an experiment but I sense your gonna try anyway, so if they help you decide one way or t'other that's fine.

Wonder if the chain will clear the casing ?

Cough, cough, (cue muffled voice).... hyper skip chain..... 😈

This whole episode sounds a bit like the late 1970s history of the Honda NR500.

In short, Honda always favoured four strokes as that is what they predominantly sold so set about trying to win the Motorcycle 500 GP with a four stroke competing with the dominant two strokes of other manufacturers.

Honda are pretty clever on engines and got round the "Four Combustion Chambers" rule by using oval pistons with two con rods to stabilize them with eight spark plugs and 32 valves. The pistons were going to be manufactured out of ceramics and have nitrogen cooling - later abandoned.

They raced the bikes for the first time - Mick Grant hit the deck on the first lap due to an oil leak and their Japanese rider retired with ignition issues after 7 laps. Honda, not to be deterred, carried on for two years before giving up..........do you see the similarities? 

You can do much if you are clever, have the money and time but whether it makes good sense is another thing!!

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, spudulike said:

This whole episode sounds a bit like the late 1970s history of the Honda NR500.

In short, Honda always favoured four strokes as that is what they predominantly sold so set about trying to win the Motorcycle 500 GP with a four stroke competing with the dominant two strokes of other manufacturers.

Honda are pretty clever on engines and got round the "Four Combustion Chambers" rule by using oval pistons with two con rods to stabilize them with eight spark plugs and 32 valves. The pistons were going to be manufactured out of ceramics and have nitrogen cooling - later abandoned.

They raced the bikes for the first time - Mick Grant hit the deck on the first lap due to an oil leak and their Japanese rider retired with ignition issues after 7 laps. Honda, not to be deterred, carried on for two years before giving up..........do you see the similarities? 

You can do much if you are clever, have the money and time but whether it makes good sense is another thing!!

Yep,see the similarities,the Jap rider i think was Katayama and the bike got the nickname Never Ready(NR500)

• Like 1

That's a coincidence,  came across that again just recently. Oval pistons, 8 valves per cylinder.  Honda made a very tasty looking replica road bike in limited numbers off of the back of that. .. thought road bike was bigger displacement 750cc ?

I guess thats where the similarities with this story end though, the collectability and price of those bikes is sky high. 

Edited by bmp01

11 minutes ago, Stere said:

Read a few articles saying new tech to reduced emissions will mean 2 strokes have/or are  making made a come back....?

That would be interesting. I would have thought the whole oil mix would exclude them from any "healthy"  emissions

The two-stroke petrol engine could be about to see a big resurgence, thanks to an innovative new design that will see...

Fuel-injected motocross bikes are on the horizon and the reality of them could keep two-strokes alive in the future

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hijacking my own thread here...

Re: 2 strokes making a "come back" -

Im not sure how much many of you have paid attention to the Marine industry. However, just as every other industry, manufacturers of Marine engines have been clamped by emissions regulations. That made 2 strokes of the past go by the way of the dodo bird. Nissan, Mercury, Tohatsu, and the list goes on - they all did away with their 2 strokes in favor of 4 strokes. Back in the early 2000's we got a 60hp Merc with our pontoon boat - it was already a 4 stroke at that point. Until Evinrude (what Johnson merged in to - it was Johson/Evinrude for a while, then went all Evinrude - under BRP Marine) was sold out (they merged with Merc somehow) around the Spring of '20 they were the only "mainstream" outboard manufacturer still producing a 2 stroke. The way they were able to comply with emissions was their computer control with fuel and oil injection.

Spring of '19 we upgraded another boat from an 80hp Merc 2 stroke from the mid-80's to a 75hp Evinrude ETec - one of the computer-controlled EPA-compliant engines. Aside from the fact it is hard for me to work on (need a computer and proprietary software to do much) - I do like it. The fuel efficiency is amazing compared to another smaller boat/motor that uses a Johnson 25hp 2 stroke ('93 model engine) - and its 3x the HP and the boat goes 3x the speed.

Running straight gas in the ETec is good also - that means I can share tanks with the 2 bigger boats and generators. If I have to mix for the smaller engines (we have about 4-5 - 25hp down to... I think the small one is 4hp) then I can, but stocking up on several tanks at the lake I can cover the majority of things with straight gas. That and common fuel fittings makes swapping tanks pretty easy.

From a maintenance perspective - I would like to see more 2 strokes. At some point, which has been pushed pretty far down the road now, I want to upgrade boats with a ~20ft aluminum fishing boat (full weather enclosure) with a 150-175hp outboard. Since Evinrude went under things apparently went all 4 stroke. I haven't kept up with the merge with Merc, so I am not sure where that line up will lead. Hopefully things improve with product offerings, though.

Weight-wise a comparable HP 4 stroke outboard is significantly heavier than a 2 stroke. Add to that the maintenance and I'm not a fan of them.

As to other industries gaining momentum with 2 strokes - I would be very curious how things go. If Evinrude could do it there is a way.

Though, personally, I am not a fan of the technological mountain involved with the computerized systems as that is the complexity of society and innovation going the way of making the "do it yourself'er" obsolete. How is a home mechanic going to replace a fuel injector, for example, when it is a Canbus device that has a computer address and the only way to program the computer address and calibrate is with proprietary software that a major corporation keeps tight under the pay wall of "you must come to us for service"? Efficiency and clean-burning are good things, but wheres the balance?

Back 30-40 years ago the operators manual of a car showed you how to time the distributor. Now they have warning labels plastered all over them about not drinking the battery fluid etc. Wheres shop class in high school - where you run table saws, radial arm saws, band saws, learn how to weld and run an oxy/acetylene torch? Did we really evolve as a society this far?

We have a plaque hanging in one of our buildings at the lake that states "Livin' can't be simple anymore. They's too many gadgets".

Edited by FlyFishn
  • Like 2