Husqvarna Dripping Oil

Oly1

Hi, I recently bought a used Husqvarna 353 (which I believe is essentially a 346xp with different cylinder design) on the basis of doesn't have the engine management system etc of new saws to go wrong. I'm very happy with the saw, but it seems to drip oil more than I'm used to...

I'm aware that after use you often get oil draining from the bar and behind the guide plate, but this seemed a bit more excessive. So as a precaution I replaced the oil pick up tube and guide plate.

After test running it seemed to drop less oil but it was still more than I expected so I drained the oil tank and it stopped pretty quick. Refill the oil tank, but not run the saw and it drips as the three photos below.

Some say that an amount of oil dripping is normal. Others drain the tank every time. Is the oil dropping I've described above reasonable?

I'm wondering if I'll continue to chase my tail on this and whether I should either accept it, or just bite the bullet and get a new 550xp...but then I'd be gutted if it did the same anyway...so advice/experiences from other husky owners would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Oly

DSC_9059.JPG

DSC_9060.JPG

DSC_9029.JPG

DSC_9028.JPG

3 hours ago, Oly1 said:

Hi, I recently bought a used Husqvarna 353 (which I believe is essentially a 346xp with different cylinder design) on the basis of doesn't have the engine management system etc of new saws to go wrong. I'm very happy with the saw, but it seems to drip oil more than I'm used to...

I'm aware that after use you often get oil draining from the bar and behind the guide plate, but this seemed a bit more excessive. So as a precaution I replaced the oil pick up tube and guide plate.

After test running it seemed to drop less oil but it was still more than I expected so I drained the oil tank and it stopped pretty quick. Refill the oil tank, but not run the saw and it drips as the three photos below.

Some say that an amount of oil dripping is normal. Others drain the tank every time. Is the oil dropping I've described above reasonable?

I'm wondering if I'll continue to chase my tail on this and whether I should either accept it, or just bite the bullet and get a new 550xp...but then I'd be gutted if it did the same anyway...so advice/experiences from other husky owners would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Oly

DSC_9059.JPG

DSC_9060.JPG

DSC_9029.JPG

DSC_9028.JPG

Its not right and I have had saws that do that but currently non do !  One thing to try is lay the saw on its side with the oil filler uppermost and then vent ( unscrew ) thew oil filler cap . Replace and stand it up after a while and if it stops it may be a build up of pressure in the oil tank after use . There should be an oil tank breather somewhat but I cant remember where it is but google might find it for you . 👍

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Its not right and I have had saws that do that but currently non do !  One thing to try is lay the saw on its side with the oil filler uppermost and then vent ( unscrew ) thew oil filler cap . Replace and stand it up after a while and if it stops it may be a build up of pressure in the oil tank after use . There should be an oil tank breather somewhat but I cant remember where it is but google might find it for you . 👍

That's a good idea but atmospheric pressure (and as the saw cools) changes all the time. Hmmm.  I was reading about it possibly being the oil tank vent, if blocked can allow an increase in pressure in the tank thereby pushing oil out of the delivery hose. I'm not sure how to check it's not blocked on the inside though?

It's this part 

See photo below of it on mine, but not sure how to get it out without splitting the saw. 

47 minutes ago, adw said:

Very common on early Husqvarnas, you can try a.new pickup/delivery hose, if no better some instant gasket around the hose to crankcase area, you could always tell where a Husqvarna had been sat overnight.

Tried the new hose. Really don't want to glue/bodge it is possible. Hmm. 

9 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

What oil are you using?

I think if you leave most chainsaws with oil in them, then some oil is going to leak from them from somewhere. 

How high is your oiler setting, as in, how much oil is coming out of the saw when you are using it?

I thought the same, but it's now also on Stihl chain oil which I've not had a problem with on my previous saw. The oiler is on its lowest setting. If anything its not flinging like i am used to, but it was running down the outside of the bar too! 

DSC_9064~2.JPG

Edited by Oly1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, adw said:

Should also say there is a later pump, rather than having just a hole either side of the pump body, the later pump has a short aluminium extension either side to better locate into the pickup/delivery hose.

Mine is just the double hole version

DSC_9010~2.JPG