Bandit 90xp equivalent or upgrade?

swinny

20 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

I really rate the 1390’s as a great size, takes anything you really need to chip, and a cone splitter can sort out the odd bits after that.

Drums will keep going to the almost death if you have to, I’ve been on Rail shifts where literally you’d think the last hours worth got burnt not chipped, but nothing ever took any harm.

Trouble is the latest engines with all the crap on literally need unbolting and putting in storage, whilst you lump on a proper engine for your own use and swap it back when you sell it.

Some fancy stuff coming through now from several manufacturers, but can’t see them standing the rest of time like a B’dit.

I know what you mean about engines etc! All crappy sensors and electrics etc! 

My engines getting worn on this as its knocking non and bought it second hand. Considered a swap for another unit but may end up just a top end rebuild on this at some point. Love the simplicity of air cooled, first I've ever had.

Currently there's not masses of second hand machines about and prices are strong. Saw a bandit 90 recently 2016 600 hrs.... so will have some electricity with it and sensors etc.... it weighed 450 kg more than mine! And was 27k plus vat strong money for me personally. It'll not do the job 20k better than mine.

Can't go back anyhow to little chippers so the old git be here to stay or swapped for another big dinosaur at some point lol 😆 

Never seem drum chippers etc so far in flesh. No one round here has one and no body talks to each other. Looking forwards to the Apf to open up my eyes as to what I've been missing out on for years lol 😆 

Edited by swinny

59 minutes ago, dumper said:

Have a look you might be surprised at the price of a new hatz 

Who through though? And what sort of brass?  This is a 4m40l 74hp..... looks about 1500 quid to rebuild top end just materials

Edited by swinny

Many moons ago I use to use a bandit 150 PTO version. Massively over engineered like all bandits.   Took me a long lime to get use to tiny chippers again after using a  12. Once you go above 12 inches they all go to drum chippers which work better machine fed. Once you get to a big 12 inch or so machine you really need a winch or a grapple to make the most of it. A couple of workers will struggle to keep a big machine fed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/01/2022 at 18:35, swinny said:

Who through though? And what sort of brass?  This is a 4m40l 74hp..... looks about 1500 quid to rebuild top end just materials

A full engine rebuild on that will be 4-5k. But that is pretty much everything and should be good for another several thousand hours. A new crate engine from Deutz is about £6500 I think. 

1 hour ago, Jonny69 said:

A full engine rebuild on that will be 4-5k. But that is pretty much everything and should be good for another several thousand hours. A new crate engine from Deutz is about £6500 I think. 

Took the chipper out of service last week and only just managed to get around to looking at it. 

Oil pressure is 42 psi when cold and solid 35psi when warm. 

Compression tests today reveal 380 psi across all 4 cylinders. Starts first time and runs and sounds well. 

Might not be as bad as I first thought. My issue is blue smoke on a cold start up. With my above findings I'm leaning towards just valve stem oil seals. And service the injectors..... see what it looks like when I take the heads off.... hopefully bores look OK and valves are OK when I've stripped the heads Down.

Fingers crossed! 

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Took the chipper out of service last week and only just managed to get around to looking at it. 

Compression tests today reveal 380 psi across all 4 cylinders. Starts first time and runs and sounds well. 

Might not be as bad as I first thought. My issue is blue smoke on a cold start up. With my above findings I'm leaning towards just valve stem oil seals. And service the injectors..... see what it looks like when I take the heads off.... hopefully bores look OK and valves are OK when I've stripped the heads Down.

Fingers crossed! 

Result 

16 hours ago, swinny said:

Fingers crossed! 

That's sound, they all smoke a bit on startup so I wouldn't worry if the smoke is only for 10 seconds. Mine is low on compression and its a right pain to start in the cold and smokes for ages, but when warmed up its fine. 

1 hour ago, Jonny69 said:

That's sound, they all smoke a bit on startup so I wouldn't worry if the smoke is only for 10 seconds. Mine is low on compression and its a right pain to start in the cold and smokes for ages, but when warmed up its fine. 

Mine will smoke for easily 5mins or more..... then clears... not good. Just gna strip some more just now and have a look

• 2 weeks later...