Best process to finish and treat elm timber

Steve Bullman

15 minutes ago, Steve Bullman said:

That black and decker sanding drum looks to be discontinued. It’s out of stock everywhere and some places have marked it discontinued.

any other solutions?

This might help 

Foam Drum Sander - Buy Online - drumsander.co.uk

• Like 1

That’s a shame as it’s a good attachment that has lasted well. Bought mine ages ago, so apologies for the dead end on this. Maybe someone else can let us know what they use. Anyone want to suggest something? I found it good because the soft foam was good for freehand shaping whereas other sanding drums I’ve looked at have a rubber core and are a bit too solid.

Andrew

CSM Abrasives is a supplier I use a lot for all my abrasives. 

WWW.ABRASIVESPLUS.COM

Abrasive supplies, Woodworking, auto finishing, metalworking abrasives, Abrasives for woodworkers

Good products, good prices and experts on the end of a phone line if needed.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ucoulddoit said:

That’s a shame as it’s a good attachment that has lasted well. Bought mine ages ago, so apologies for the dead end on this. Maybe someone else can let us know what they use. Anyone want to suggest something? I found it good because the soft foam was good for freehand shaping whereas other sanding drums I’ve looked at have a rubber core and are a bit too solid.

Andrew

Hi, I had one of these probably nearly 50 years ago, if i remember it was Black and Decker and had a crumb foam drum, but I'm particularly interested in trying the nylon brush idea to clean / burnish the edges on some gnarly boards I have👍

Just now, Macpherson said:

Hi, I had one of these probably nearly 50 years ago, if i remember it was Black and Decker and had a crumb foam drum, but I'm particularly interested in trying the nylon brush idea to clean / burnish the edges on some gnarly boards I have👍

I had another look at the Axminster site and they still sell a 100mm nylon wire brush for a drill, but much more expensive than the 75mm one from Toolstation.

I can’t remember when I bought my B & D foam sander, but probably a few decades ago as well…….

Andrew

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

These may be a decent price if the quality's there.

Nylon threads impregnated with abrasive grit for removal of rust, paint and scale. All 6mm Shank. 1 x 100mm flap brush...

I managed to order the nylon discs in the link earlier 

• Like 1