Best process to finish and treat elm timber

Steve Bullman

On 28/12/2021 at 12:00, ucoulddoit said:

If the planks have a natural edge which you want to retain, I've found a nylon wire brush and a soft foam sanding drum, both of which can be used in a hand held electric drill, works well for finishing an uneven surface. On a really rough/uneven edge such as a burr, the nylon wire brush can get right into the crevices and leaves a burnished finish which doesn't need sanding. Both are stocked by Axminster Tools and are in the photo below. Would be good to see some before and after pictures of the planks.

Andrew

IMG_1536C.JPG

Any chance of a direct link to these? Struggling to find them on the site 

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

Any chance of a direct link to these? Struggling to find them on the site 

That's stretching my IT skills a bit, but here goes. Also struggled to find them on the Axminster site, but Toolstation have the nylon wire brush.

Non spark filament circular brush impregnated with abrasive grain. Ideal for deburring, surface treatment, stock removal...

It's a Black and Decker sanding drum I use. Amazon site says it's unavailable, but this link will let you see what to search for. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-DX32365-Cushion-Sander/dp/B0001IWH52

Andrew

Edited by ucoulddoit
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ucoulddoit said:

That's stretching my IT skills a bit, but here goes. Also struggled to find them on the Axminster site, but Toolstation have the nylon wire brush.

Non spark filament circular brush impregnated with abrasive grain. Ideal for deburring, surface treatment, stock removal...

It's a Black and Decker sanding drum I use. Amazon site says it's unavailable, but this link will let you see what to search for. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BLACK-DECKER-DX32365-Cushion-Sander/dp/B0001IWH52

Andrew

That black and decker sanding drum looks to be discontinued. It’s out of stock everywhere and some places have marked it discontinued.

any other solutions?