stove size and using an inline fan

Alright

Just looking for some advice, i'm in the process of renovating an old house and need to choose the stove for heating it.

The room is a kitchen/living room, roughly 10m x 5m with 3m ceilings  it has 4 quite big windows ( modern double glazed, plus a front door, and insultaed to modern standards, air test etc)

Despite that massive room its not really a big house, that room is essentially half the house where the windows were made it hard to have it any other way.

The house will have under floor heating from a LPG combi boiler.

The advice is around an 8.5kw stove.

Wot i'm wondering being a tight jock who has quite literally firewood lying everywhere, got 80+m3 been under cover for 5 years now, probably have to wet it its that bloody dry. And piles lying everywhere else too

And with the way LPG/all energy is expected to rise in the near future i would rather use my 'free' firewood as much as possible.

Also the house is often empty for 12+ hours a day even at wknds usually out and about outside, so realistically fire will rarely be on for more than 4 hrs at a time..

Wot i was thinking was to keep the UFH turned down a bit ( i struggle to see the point/sense in heating an empty house to normal warm room temps) and use a larger log burner to provide the extra heat when we get in at night.

Say step up to an 11kw or something

Would that be too hot for the room??

My experience of log burners is not that good, put a 5kw 1 in my static from local blacksmith, guessing a cheapy chinese? and had to rip it out after 1 winter static was bloody freezing, and thats with 2" of poly sterene under the floor.

Now on a cheapy 8kw 1 which is ok but ur still not sweating in t shirts in winter time,but both being cheaper i don't really know how hot a 'proper' well made burner is

They are about to slate the roof at start of jan, but if i step up from an 8kw any higher ur really need a 7" flue.

My other daft idea which is another reason for a larger stove is to install a a flue pipe above it say attached to a 6" insluted flue pipe with an inline fan and suck the hot air away from the stove and fire it down to the far side of the house.

Some of these inline fans are blowing 5 or 6 times more than ur normal bathroom explair air extractor fan, really a hear recovery system on steroids with no fancy heat exchangers etc.

Would that work??

Most folk i've spoke to reckon it won't but never give a reason why, but i struggle to see why it won't. Ur just sucking hot air from 1 pace and moving it 10m and blowing it out there, seems so simple i don't know why more folk haven't tried it

I can mind as a kid my aunt had 1 of those hot air central heating systems, i'm sure they were'nt very effecient, but i'm just wanting to mov the excess heat already made.

Cheers for any advice/tips

Edited by drinksloe

23 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

Alright

Just looking for some advice, i'm in the process of renovating an old house and need to choose the stove for heating it.

The room is a kitchen/living room, roughly 10m x 5m with 3m ceilings  it has 4 quite big windows ( modern double glazed, plus a front door, and insultaed to modern standards, air test etc)

Despite that massive room its not really a big house, that room is essentially half the house where the windows were made it hard to have it any other way.

Wot i'm wondering being a tight jock who has quite literally firewood lying everywhere, got 80+m3 been under cover for 5 years now, probably have to wet it its that bloody dry. And piles lying everywhere else too

And with the way LPG/all energy is expected to rise in the near future i would rather use my 'free' firewood as much as possible.

Also the house is often empty for 12+ hours a day even at wknds usually out and about outside, so realistically fire will rarely be on for more than 4 hrs at a time..

Wot i was thinking was to keep the UFH turned down a bit ( i struggle to see the point/sense in heating an empty house to normal warm room temps) and use a larger log burner to provide the extra heat when we get in at night.

My experience of log burners is not that good, put a 5kw 1 in my static from local blacksmith, guessing a cheapy chinese? and had to rip it out after 1 winter static was bloody freezing, and thats with 2" of poly sterene under the floor.

Now on a cheapy 8kw 1 which is ok but ur still not sweating in t shirts in winter time,but both being cheaper i don't really know how hot a 'proper' well made burner is

They are about to slate the roof at start of jan, but if i step up from an 8kw any higher ur really need a 7" flue.

My other daft idea which is another reason for a larger stove is to install a a flue pipe above it say attached to a 6" insluted flue pipe with an inline fan and suck the hot air away from the stove and fire it down to the far side of the house.

Some of these inline fans are blowing 5 or 6 times more than ur normal bathroom explair air extractor fan, really a hear recovery system on steroids with no fancy heat exchangers etc.

Would that work??

Most folk i've spoke to reckon it won't but never give a reason why, but i struggle to see why it won't. Ur just sucking hot air from 1 pace and moving it 10m and blowing it out there, seems so simple i don't know why more folk haven't tried it

I can mind as a kid my aunt had 1 of those hot air central heating systems, i'm sure they were'nt very effecient, but i'm just wanting to mov the excess heat already made.

By coincidence I just watched this

23 minutes ago, marktownend said:

What are you then planning to do with the hot air once you've blown it across to the other side of the house? Release it and gas everyone or use the piping as a radiator before venting out?

No just blow it out, its not coming out the chimney flue, meaning just to have an inlet vent in the ceiling, similar to Heat recovery systems or explair extractor fan and just blow it out into my drying cupboard and hallway at the other end of the house.

I don't know if the vents should b low down on the wall so the hot air rises??

Just the same hot air as in the room  so just moving it away from 1 place to another

Edited by drinksloe

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

Alright

Would that work??

Normal convection currents more or less do what you want without any pipes .

Where do you intend providing the  permanent extra air into the building from ,vents or sealed supply direct into stove

Edited by slim reaper

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

By coincidence I just watched this

Noting what @slim reaper says about the legality  you just have to consider the physics of this; the stove casing is the heat exchanger so if the flue gases are so hot that there is more heat to be recovered the stove is being over driven.

The flue temperature should be just high enough that the vapours do not condense in the chimney. Logically a fully insulated chimney will not lose much heat and so the flue gases only need to be marginally above 100C.

In fact I run my little 4kW stove with the flue gas temperature 18" above the stove at about 115C, below this there is likely to be some blackening of the firebricks and a bit of whitish smoke from the stack.

I think the rated output of the stove is when the flue gases are at 250C but I don't ever get it that high and it would be wasteful to do so.

Even so with the little manifolds I made to blow warm (40C) air into the adjacent room it has meant I have used no other space heating this year yet and the room with the stove is less hot, more comfortable.