Isc rope grab help

noidea

13 minutes ago, john87 said:

Only a few months!! I am 60 so it is hard going and at my age will probably not get much easier. No, i have not had any formal training, too old for all that!! I would look a bit odd if i turned up on a training course with a load of 25 year olds, i would not be physically capable of it either i would imagine..

I just stop and think carefully what the effect will be, or could be, of anything i do, before i do it!! If i am not sure, then i do not do it..

In engineering there is a thing called FMEA "failure mode effect analysis" which amounts to near enough the same thing, basically, "if this bit fails what will the outcome be"

I worry more about the tree breaking than the gear failing..

john..

I trained a 60+ gentleman  a few years back, he had no experience whatsoever.

The rest of the group where young guys, some where Gym buddies and physically strong. 
By the the end of the week the older guy was by far the best climber in the group.

Why? Because he paid attention, listened to the more experienced guy and applied himself to it, no YouTube or Google was required.

40 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

I trained a 60+ gentleman  a few years back, he had no experience whatsoever.

The rest of the group where young guys, some where Gym buddies and physically strong. 
By the the end of the week the older guy was by far the best climber in the group.

Why? Because he paid attention, listened to the more experienced guy and applied himself to it, no YouTube or Google was required.

Well, that is encouraging i must say.. Is a course not too demanding for a 60 year old though?? I mean, i can climb up a tree and back, but i could not do it all day like you would be able to..

Can you look at people and decide in like two minutes either yes or no?? What i mean is, i have a class one HGV, i can watch someone drive a car and in 5 minutes know whether they will be able to drive a lorry or not..

What, above anything, makes a good climber, if you had to sum it up i mean..

john..

1 minute ago, john87 said:

Well, that is encouraging i must say.. Is a course not too demanding for a 60 year old though?? I mean, i can climb up a tree and back, but i could not do it all day like you would be able to..

Can you look at people and decide in like two minutes either yes or no?? What i mean is, i have a class one HGV, i can watch someone drive a car and in 5 minutes know whether they will be able to drive a lorry or not..

What, above anything, makes a good climber, if you had to sum it up i mean..

john..

You may not set any world records but probably won’t be expected too either.

Practice, patience and good technique is the main requirement. 
The development of equipment used in the modern Arb industry has made it easier than ever to learn how to climb whatever you age or experience. It has also extended the careers of many of us who have been doing it for a good while.

• Like 1

Is there any one thing in particular that would be climbers usually struggle with or find difficult??

john..

Poor technique is your worst enemy.

A colleague of mine Assessed a guy a few weeks back who completed his pole rescue on one spike as he had lost a leg in Afghanistan.

Very impressive and a credit to his determination.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

Poor technique is your worst enemy.

A colleague of mine Assessed a guy a few weeks back who completed his pole rescue on one spike as he had lost a leg in Afghanistan.

Very impressive and a credit to his determination.

Wow, that is impressive... got to admit i am not much good at hip thrusts.. Still, not too much of a worry with my foot ascender.

As for spiking up trees, i just press the spike in carefully and put weight on it carefully, not just try to stomp my way up..

john..

Millions of pull ups needed then??

john..

Never done them, even when I used to winter climbing. Just climb body condition comes with it and I am 60 as well.

Use modern techniques as it makes your life easier, even as you say they make you feel less secure/ at ease.

spiderjacks/zigzags/akimbo/rope wrench/ rope runners etc use them your body will thankyou.

28 minutes ago, htb said:

Never done them, even when I used to winter climbing. Just climb body condition comes with it and I am 60 as well.

Use modern techniques as it makes your life easier, even as you say they make you feel less secure/ at ease.

spiderjacks/zigzags/akimbo/rope wrench/ rope runners etc use them your body will thankyou.

That is really great to hear!! I suppose i should climb as much as i can then. I try to, but the weather is a bit crap now..

I know climbing on a Blakes is maybe making life hard for me, but rightly or wrongly, i thought i should learn to walk before i try to run and get modern gadgets like zigzags..??

I bought an exercise bike about a year ago. I was truly amazed that even at sixty you could make yourself so much stronger and fitter. I thought it was too late for all that..

john..