Isc rope grab help

noidea

41 minutes ago, Pete Mctree said:

They are a safe and reliable device when used correctly.

They grab better with a thicker rope, as the cam has a bigger surface area to contact as does the body. As for the spring, well the item is defective without it, so why would you use it?

And if the  spring breaks in use?? That is what i meant as it gets shaken about a lot in use.. It might have more surface area, but it has less leverage to exert pressure as the "arm" is at a less favorable angle. In any case friction is independent of area, so it does not make any difference how much rope contacts the grab if you see what i mean..

john..

7 minutes ago, john87 said:

And if the  spring breaks in use?? That is what i meant as it gets shaken about a lot in use.. It might have more surface area, but it has less leverage to exert pressure as the "arm" is at a less favorable angle. In any case friction is independent of area, so it does not make any difference how much rope contacts the grab if you see what i mean..

john..

Whatever John - do you not think that the geometry of the cam is not optimised to the diameter of cordage that it is constructed to work with? Perhaps you have not been using it as designed? 
As for breaking spring - it only functions to prevent the rope falling through the grab when not under load and would not cause the device to let go under load. 

I think your post is poor to be honest, as it is neither informative or accurate- I’m done with this

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Pete Mctree said:

Whatever John - do you not think that the geometry of the cam is not optimised to the diameter of cordage that it is constructed to work with? Perhaps you have not been using it as designed? 
As for breaking spring - it only functions to prevent the rope falling through the grab when not under load and would not cause the device to let go under load. 

I think your post is poor to be honest, as it is neither informative or accurate- I’m done with this

Agree entirely, on mine when the spring/wire broke it did exactly as you said, no dramas. change wire and continue...

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, john87 said:

Well, let me put it like this... Reg Coates is not a big fan of them, thinking they are not as safe as a friction hitch, and that is good enough for me..

john..

And that makes them unsafe - a single person’s opinion?

I have met Reg several times and he is the real deal for sure. I may be wrong, however I thought his issue was with the wire core itself?

if you had an issue with a rope grab, then why not the prussic too? Perhaps you need to go back olde Skool and use the becket hitch ? 

Yer full of shit dude 

1DE26D2E-E2C5-43E1-8EDC-5884D2F8F318.jpeg

• Like 2

I think it's best to listen to Pete on this one, he has more than enough experience to know what he is taking about.

It's a very simple and effective bit of kit. If the little wire thing is looking worn then replace it before use, if it fails while in use (in reality it won't cause any safety issues) then you didn't do your pre work checks.

Mountains out of mole hills for a device that is in daily use by many arbs.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I think it's best to listen to Pete on this one, he has more than enough experience to know what he is taking about.

It's a very simple and effective bit of kit. If the little wire thing is looking worn then replace it before use, if it fails while in use (in reality it won't cause any safety issues) then you didn't do your pre work checks.

Mountains out of mole hills for a device that is in daily use by many 

All sounds very similar to his arguments about the ISC snap hook. He'll be telling us they need to recalled next. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, gand said:

All sounds very similar to his arguments about the ISC snap hook. He'll be telling us they need to recalled next.

Another genius..

Please PLEASE explain why Petzl recalled stuff they were not happy with but ISC did not, even though they did a design change as they knew there could be a problem..

john..

10 minutes ago, john87 said:

Bad attitude prat...

You need to grow up big style and get over yourself..

john..

Don't get upset about it. Pete knows his stuff, just accept that others are far more qualified and experienced than you are and that we should listen to what they say. He isn't trying to pull the wool over your eyes. 

If you don't like the product then don't buy it or use it but it's not worth bad mouthing it and trying to stop others from using it just because you don't understand how it works. Stick to what you know and understand and let the experts get on with giving professional advice.

Tbh I wish I had listened to pro advice long ago as I probably wouldn't have had wrist and elbow damage from using shitty old techniques.

• Like 1