£10 per day “Clean air charge”

Shaunpaul

31 minutes ago, LGP Eddie said:

Part of Stoke is about to have the same, it’s going to be an absolute tumbleweed only zone, as people will simply find alternatives.

You have to feel for the business owners having this stuff inflicted on them.

Just being looking up online about Stoke, as it's my patch too (Wetley Rocks based, Eddie). Can't see any info about when it is planned to start, but will keep an eye open. The CAZ they propose will not be charging privately owned cars, just business vehicles. Seems a pretty biased way of behaving if it truly is about reducing emissions. The emissions from my wife's 2013 diesel Nissan Qashqai contain the same nasty chemicals as those from my 2015 Iveco Daily, so why only charge one and not the other. OK, let’s extend this ... I go and buy a newer Iveco to run "cleaner" and avoid the charges, what about the carbon footprint of the manufacturing of the new one?!

22 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

Just being looking up online about Stoke, as it's my patch too (Wetley Rocks based, Eddie). Can't see any info about when it is planned to start, but will keep an eye open. The CAZ they propose will not be charging privately owned cars, just business vehicles. Seems a pretty biased way of behaving if it truly is about reducing emissions. The emissions from my wife's 2013 diesel Nissan Qashqai contain the same nasty chemicals as those from my 2015 Iveco Daily, so why only charge one and not the other. OK, let’s extend this ... I go and buy a newer Iveco to run "cleaner" and avoid the charges, what about the carbon footprint of the manufacturing of the new one?!

I’m in Chedd, so literally a stones throw away.

I was done in Bath for my Defender as it’s a commercial, and I would assume it’ll be the same in parts of Stoke.

I believe Fenton/Joiners Square will be in, so a small thing like nipping down to Gunn JCB would add £10 to the trip.

Just have to plan better, and you can get a lot delivered for £10 these days.

Had a quick look, basically they’ve been given 60k grant to look into it, they have to bring something in to meet their obligations, and it’s seemingly a Victoria Rd corridor and the town centre.

The idea they have “most businesses here have newer vehicles” is of no use if their Customers don’t!

Edited by LGP Eddie

21 hours ago, LGP Eddie said:

I’ve just had notification from Bath of prosecution a month later.

Didn’t see any signs, too busy trying to stay in the correct lane and stuck in the traffic chaos due to roadworks on a major bridge.

Said to my Mrs, nice here, we’ll have to have a weekend, and I’ll be down there working anyway after Christmas.

No surprise in that I’ll not be visiting town, and will stay Wiltshire side to avoid driving through again.

We pay enough already for driving without this load of shite lumped on top.

You and me both mate, exactly the same.  **************** Bath, it's full of tourist tat anyway. Spend £400 a day there somehow, now that's £440 a day! Not going back.

Incidentally, with reference to the Portsmouth one. Apparently they are not going to charge private vans and cars? An I'm sure I must have been there since the zone started, but not got done. I wonder how they enforce that? I can't personally believe that they are capable of automatically sorting log book details into companies and private unless it's just scanning for 'LTD'

27 minutes ago, porky said:

It probaly checks the Insurance database for "Business Use".

Hmm, plausible. However I have a fleet policy and didn't get done.

Also- just used the online checker. £9 in Bath, free in Portsmouth.

Edited by doobin

2 hours ago, DanHorrich87 said:

With the cost of living outstripping wages, 2022 is set to be a tumultuous one for our personal finances, but drivers cold get on...

Related. You may know already.

I don't normally bother with clickbaity tabloid articles, but I'd not heard this before:

"10. Speed limiters in new cars

New cars will be fitted with speed limiters from July 6, 2022 to improve road safety.

The Intelligent Speed Assistance (ISA) black boxes will use GPS to work out what the speed limit is and will then ensure the car doesn't break it.

A new regulation will be imposed by the European Commission in the General Safety Regulation having been approved by the European Parliament in 2019.

ISAs will be mandatory for all new models given 'type approval' from 6 July. This means any new car brought to market from that date, rather than new cars already in production."

GPS device that will limit your speed if it thinks you're breaking the limit - I'm sure that will work fine!!

What happens when there's errors, or the system is hacked O.o

Edited by scbk

the time is coming, the powers that be do not want you owning or running your own vehicle, in fact they do not want you doing anything that doesnt make you dependant on there handouts, they are after total control, look at how china is progressing, if you dont earn enough "social points", your lifestyle is heavily restricted, you have been warned.......and as for thee new emmision zones.....start cloning your vehicles with councill vehicle reg's.......why should you pay for there stupidity and uselessness

• Like 5

Was down from the NE of Scotland to London on my oldest 42 year old bike and visited Ace Cafe and the centre of the city. Nice to know you can breeze through on an old timer while giving a finger to these charges.
A number of years ago being totally oblivious to these charges I went through a similar place along the bus lane wondering why everyone was queuing in the snow. Must have been lucky in my hire car as never got anything unpleasant in the post.