Oak beam above burner

JT19

4 hours ago, JT19 said:

Merry Christmas everyone

My parents have had a log burner in there house for 35 years. New sweep came in and condemned it as the Oak beam is to close. And the burner is too big for the room!? He tried selling a new burner and install etc. Anyway to solve a problem that's never been a problem, could I screw a sheet of non combustible material to the bottom of the  offending beam? Just to please a concerned sweep?

Cheers

Josh

Get a new sweep?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, slim reaper said:

If you cover the beam if its to close to comply with distance to combustables  there has to be spacers so theres an air gap between the beam and  metal , it also has to be a certan thickness metal... 

Do you have a citye for that?

I would think a thin metal sheet with an inch air gap just between the beam and the stove would be enough as long as air can pass up behind the steel but I haven't checked any regulations.

A “combustible material” is any material that is not A1 fire-rated or to as high a specification as this (your sofa and...

Perhaps the op stove was larger than 7kw hence  sweep saying was too large for room to fit heat shield

• Thanks 1

are these regs retrospective by the way? If they are and the installed stove doesn't meet the then you'll need to sort it - probably before the house is next sold and the home buyers report picks it up, if it isn't then all it has to do is comply to what they were when the stove was installed.

By way of an example, the wiring regs changed the cable colours, blue and brown from red and black but you didn't need to rewire every property in the UK when they changed, just comply afterwards. I don't know if the same applies to stoves. I would be sure things like having a working CO meter is retrospective since it is an easy fix but not so sure about the actual hardware - stove, flue, and so on

It seems that many modern stoves have wood storage in or very near the stove so I am not sure if this is covered by the regulations.

WWW.ADUROFIRE.COM

A lot depends on the type of stove and flue I would have thought

The Aarrow Stratford in our conservatory has an insulated flue and when the fire is full blast ,I can place my hand on both the side of the stove, as the water jacket is the shield, and the insulated flue.

• Like 1

Think the beam is at least 300mm from the top of the burner.

It is a bit of a beast. It's at least a 10kw I'd say. But the room is big and has stair case in it so heat does go up the stairs and onto the landing.

It needs signing off as the house has been renovated. I know that the beam would never catch fire from the log burner. It passed the test of time I'd say! 

• Like 2