Oak beam above burner

JT19

Think the beam is at least 300mm from the top of the burner.
It is a bit of a beast. It's at least a 10kw I'd say. But the room is big and has stair case in it so heat does go up the stairs and onto the landing.
It needs signing off as the house has been renovated. I know that the beam would never catch fire from the log burner. It passed the test of time I'd say! 
I'd be a bit cautious about assuming the test of time, when we ripped our old fireplace out we found the ceiling joists were charred where the chimney had been leaking, and the mantelpiece was a piece of oak which was set into the brickwork so deep the back of the wood was in the smoke. Been like that since the house was renovated in the 70s, never really noticed a problem except some strange smells when it was really hot. Of course with the leaking chimney it was a matter of time....
  • Like 2

Minimum combustible clearances from the top of a stove  have always been in the forefront for pro installers,  along with the clearance from the exposed inside edge of a beam to a flue pipe, but over the last few years the clearance of the underside of a combustible beam from the flue pipe has come to the forefront following issues with beams catching fire.   

The sweep in condeming the install due to the beam is a trade proffesional giving a homowner best advise,  preventing themsetting fire to the beam and maybe the house.  I have seen Oak beams burnt pretty well through from the inside when externally they look ok.  

Please take on board what the sweep is saying,   you loose your house to a chimney fire then if the evidence of a condemned installation comes to light during your jnsureres investigations then your policy may be invalidated.   

My best advise as a stove retailer is to get a reputable local installer in to look at the installation and if necessary cost up rectification works.

A

Edited by Alycidon
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, JT19 said:

Think the beam is at least 300mm from the top of the burner.

It is a bit of a beast. It's at least a 10kw I'd say. But the room is big and has stair case in it so heat does go up the stairs and onto the landing.

It needs signing off as the house has been renovated. I know that the beam would never catch fire from the log burner. It passed the test of time I'd say! 

Dissagree unless it's a very inefficient stove,  big stove so 450mm flue pipe,  likely to want 600mm above the stove,  The lowest I am aware of 375mm. 

A

• Like 1

On 25/12/2021 at 17:09, openspaceman said:

Do you have a citye for that?

I would think a thin metal sheet with an inch air gap just between the beam and the stove would be enough as long as air can pass up behind the steel but I haven't checked any regulations.

Wrong,  The steel will transfer the heat.  

A

33 minutes ago, JT19 said:

Its got 270mm clearance to top of stove. The flue is well clear of beam and has a concrete lintel between the beam and flue. 

What if I was to screw a piece of cement board to the bottom of the beam? 

No . Just carry on FFS .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2