Looking for my first vehicle

Donnie

30 minutes ago, Ratman said:

I run a 1.3 90bhp Fiat Doblo now, ex council, bought it cos it was mega straight, only had 34k on clock and is a 10 reg, other reasons for buying were also that its on a timing chain not a belt, was fully ply lined, cabin area is practically as new, and is very basic regards mechanical repairs.
I looked at loads of 1.6hdi models but they were all high mileage and strong money, and that 1.6 engine is very problematic regards turbo and dpf issues if not maintained to the hilt.
I just dropped lucky finding mine when i did, right place right time and right money. It carries weight really well too, you load it up and it never really sits down at rear.

Not a bad engine, I have a Corsa van with one in. Got a lot of go for a 1.3 diesel and very economical.

• Like 2

Not a bad engine, I have a Corsa van with one in. Got a lot of go for a 1.3 diesel and very economical.

Yeah love it! Very car like, comfortable, easy driving. Had to do injector seats other month as it started chuffing on me. Got all 4 injectors out in a couple of hours, wire wheeled all bodies of em back to nice and clean, same with cylinder head, wire brush in drill then into holes, put some fresh copper seating washers on, new dust seals for in top of head, some magic paste from work to smear on injector bodies to stop em seizing in, job done! Does 50+ mpg according to dash on a run. I’m only 2 miles from work so its barely getting warm most days, but always get a run at weekends trailing about, oil prob gets dropped every 2k miles, had a new egr when i got it so should be good for a few years for me.

8 hours ago, Jack.P said:

I heard the early  rav 4 were good capable off roaders .a good example can be probably be had for 2k .had a yaris of similar age that would go on forever .

They apparently have a few "quirks" like the non replacable propshshaft support bearing, that means ordering a complete new propshaft from Toyota at 3 or 4 k.

But the Toyota owners forum will shed more light.

Will be getting into tree felling within the new year. I'm looking for my first vehicle in the forestry industry. I'm tied between a small van like a Berlingo or a pick up truck like a L200 as I will be going down a lot of forest roads which I know are in most cases horrendous.    If anyones got any photos of there set ups that'd be great also. Cheers. 

What about a compromise like a secondhand VW Tiguan? Not too shabby on the 4WD and a diesel will do 45/50 mpg with a bit of performance. They started making them in 2008 so something reasonable should be available. Mine occasionally drags logs in as well.Remember that whether you’re young, or not, a commercial vehicle will sting you for insurance compared to a car.

IMG_1640687365.026501.jpg

I think it depend exactly on each persons circumstances, as said all have pros and cons.

I have both a pick up and a wee van ( kangoo at moment) the kangoo is the 1st choice 100% of time no matter the weather unless i need to tow or carrying my dogs, i actually prefer a 2wd light van over a heavy pick up in the snow/ice

But they're is a hell of a lot of forestry contractors, machine ops/digger lads and even the FC themselves all run wee 2wd vans. I don't think many of the FC vans are even 4wd anymore.

I know a couple of big civils/digger companies and a big harvesting outfits that supply the employed boys just with wee vans and all work 100% of time doing forestry work in some big areas of forestry, so sometimes long tracks in. 10 miles up a track would just be norma, seen some sites 20+miles up a track

Yes u have to drive a bit more sensible straddle ruts etc, 1 lad i was working with hit an 8" log on the forest road the other month and pushed/bent the sump pan in enough to foul/block the oil pick up.

He was just going steady in 1st gear the track was a disgrace, forwarder running/turning on it and at the bottom of a steep peaty hill, hence the fact he couldnae even see an 8" log in the mud.

mud pretty much bumper deep in parts and wee vans handling it fine as hard below

if ur doing a lot of track miles u will get suspension wear no matter wot u buy even driving at sensible speeds, but the bill for wee vans are always quite reasonable, pick ups never have a reasonable bill.

Put some winter tyres on a decent wee van and surprising where they will go quite often further than a big heavy 4x4 on summer road tyres ( if ground clearnace doesnt let it down) and buy a set of snow socks or even chains for emergancies if ur in a snowy area, amazing the difference winter tyres or snow socks make to summer tyres

But i got caught out with 2 combi vans, the older 03 plate 1.7 was a brilliant motor off road or in snow but the newer 06 1.3/1.5? was absolutley usless just revved too quick with no torque

And to cape of the disaster different sized wheels i just had put 4 new tyres on my old combi 6 weeks before it died and expected them to fit on the new 1, no such luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 24/12/2021 at 15:46, JDon said:

Will be getting into tree felling within the new year. I'm looking for my first vehicle in the forestry industry. I'm tied between a small van like a Berlingo or a pick up truck like a L200 as I will be going down a lot of forest roads which I know are in most cases horrendous. 

If anyones got any photos of there set ups that'd be great also. Cheers. 

You say Berlingo so I assume you are not looking for rear seats, plenty of decent 4wd two door commercial versions of things like Discoveries, Troopers and Shoguns, any of them would do the job. Just need to take a fitter with you so you dont buy a pup.

Bob

On 30/12/2021 at 08:20, aspenarb said:

You say Berlingo so I assume you are not looking for rear seats, plenty of decent 4wd two door commercial versions of things like Discoveries, Troopers and Shoguns, any of them would do the job. Just need to take a fitter with you so you dont buy a pup.

Bob

Nah not looking for rear seats at all. Some Berlingo's have 3 seats in the front which would be handy in emergencies but I need it personally as it'll only be used by me and for work. 

Will be getting into tree felling within the new year. I'm looking for my first vehicle in the forestry industry. I'm tied between a small van like a Berlingo or a pick up truck like a L200 as I will be going down a lot of forest roads which I know are in most cases horrendous. 

If anyones got any photos of there set ups that'd be great also. Cheers. 

See my post on van for sale