Pick up truck Vs tipper Vs panel van

Tommygunn1992

8 minutes ago, scbk said:

First off do some insurance quotes on different vehicles - for a provisional licence, and with business use (carriage of own goods)

That might blow your 3k budget

Insurance not included in budget, when I say £3k that is either cash buy or deposit for something I'm just unsure whether to buy something to tide me over until I take my work full time and then sell it and by something new on finance as dropping like £20k on my first vehicle to work part time seems a bit mad to me.

Surprisingly tipper is pretty cheap insurance considering I wrote off a motorbike a few years ago it's about £1100 for the year, I can just chuck on a credit card and pay off after a few jobs go my way.

Try and stretch to the best one you can afford.

I was given that advice by a bloke in the pub when I was mulling over a cheap transit.

So I heeded it and dropped 10k in 2001 on a low mileage ex BT van and it did me 14 years solid service.

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

Try and stretch to the best one you can afford.
I was given that advice by a bloke in the pub when I was mulling over a cheap transit.
So I heeded it at dropped 10k in 2001 on a low mileage ex BT van and it did me 14 years solid service.

I'd go with that , I borrowed 7k in my third year to get my first chipper and replace my old transit ... I brought the cheapest I could find and the transit was left in two bits when I pulled off a drive a years later , the chipper needed new bearings every 6 months and I was in a worse position after two years down to down time and repairs constantly !
Bit the bullet and got finance on a new chipper and very lucky on a decent transit that did twelve years of virtually trouble free work... should of gone for the best in the first place as that 7k was the worse I'd ever spent !

10 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

(Gotta get the wife’s Christmas present so must not get dragged into this!)

Bought the missus a great pair of Pffanner chainsaw pants and matching red chainsaw wellies for Christmas last year, she looks great in them and doesn’t realise how hard it was for me to source them in such small sizes, I’m still in the dog house.

• Haha 1

8k for a tipper is right bang where you will find overpriced tat. Newer vehicles but high mileage, often with dubious service history. Go older, cheaper and looked after. 

If you’re going to finance, finance plant that won’t depreciate like a vehicle does in the first three years. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, doobin said:

8k for a tipper is right bang where you will find overpriced tat. Newer vehicles but high mileage, often with dubious service history. Go older, cheaper and looked after. 

If you’re going to finance, finance plant that won’t depreciate like a vehicle does in the first three years. 

So it seems, I can't believe how some of these hold their money. Some have near 90,000 miles and still asking for 18k.

2 hours ago, Mick Dempsey said:

And here she is, with the old Timberwolf and a Navarra that I bought over here January 2008.

A00A4EB2-43E3-4AF5-B23F-3DA0DD1454F0.jpeg

I think I may have read a forum on here before where you spoke about the Navara. 14 years from a 10k spend is pretty good, although 10k was certainly a lot more money and went a bit further 20 years ago. 

It seems I have a lot of thinking to do and money to find, thanks for the advice.