16th of December towing rules

MattyF

Taken into account when you look at the stats for all other vehicle types which is about a 20% lower reduction.

So it’s not really a 67% reduction it’s more like 20%?

Anyway, I’m now legal and I’m happy with that. I’ll be even safer now that I’m not keeping an eye out for the lawman.

It’s not often the government gets something right but when they do it’s even more rare I benefit from it.
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Anyway, I’m now legal and I’m happy with that. I’ll be even safer now that I’m not keeping an eye out for the lawman.

It’s not often the government gets something right but when they do it’s even more rare I benefit from it.

Its 67% reduction in trailer crashes. On the same dates other vehicles reduced by about 47%. So yes its a 67% reduction but only 20% can be purely attributed to the BE training and test.

11 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

You Might Not feel the got it right when your insurance asks you for proof of certified training, loads your policy or refuse to insure. All of which is being talked about by Underwriters. But then seeing as you have been towing uninsured so far I guess you wont care.

2 minutes ago, Justme said:

You Might Not feel the got it right when your insurance asks you for proof of certified training, loads your policy or refuse to insure. All of which is being talked about by Underwriters. But then seeing as you have been towing uninsured so far I guess you wont care.

Quite correct. I don’t really care. I’ll take the hit if/when it comes. Much rather that than line a hawkers pocket. :) 

38 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I was thinking about the trailers pre 97 too, lot more home made ones whereas these have been thinned out by wear. I still have a flatbed built from a caravan, just needs new suspension, brakes, tyres, lights, and floor. And the hitch is really worn. I'm planning to scrap it to be fair.

Home made weren't regulated till 2014.

2 hours ago, Justme said:

Does that mean all pre-97 licence holders will now be uninsured for towing a trailer, as they haven't done any training either?

What about vans/pickups/4x4s/campers/tippers etc. Most people will have passed their driving test in a small front wheel drive petrol car, and never had any training in anything bigger.

Insurers will always find a way out of paying for claims, or increasing premiums.