Tree Officer looking to set up my own firm - Advice.

TreetopAO

Afternoon all, 

Currently a senior tree officer within a district council. My responsibilities range from commercial/contract management to consultations on major developments. I've only been 'off the tools' since 2016 but, very keen and a fast learner. However, beyond my time 'on the tools' my professional experience is limited to local authority. 

I'm growing tired of the politics...restructures, streamlining, members of the public....and have been considering setting up my own consultancy firm. 

Now, i know this would be a risk to just jump ship...but like colleagues before me, I'd be interested in trying to set my own firm up beyond my employers borders to avoid a conflict of interest, and in a perfect world, building my business whilst retaining my existing job. Don't get me wrong I like my job but, LA's in my opinion are fast becoming an unstable place to work, and my concern for my role being 'streamlined into a joint collaborative customer focused hybrid hub based pay reviewed career graded' role....in other words being swept out from under my feet are growing. 

Has anyone considered, or done similar to this? Equally, is the grass greener in the private sector? Is a switch from LA to Private achievable? 

Thanks. 

Edited by TreetopAO
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, TreetopAO said:

Afternoon all, 

Currently a senior tree officer within a district council. My responsibilities range from commercial/contract management to consultations on major developments. I've only been 'off the tools' since 2016 but, very keen and a fast learner. However, beyond my time 'on the tools' my professional experience is limited to local authority. 

I'm growing tired of the politics...restructures, streamlining, members of the public....and have been considering setting up my own consultancy firm. 

Now, i know this would be a risk to just jump ship...but like colleagues before me, I'd be interested in trying to set my own firm up beyond my employers borders to avoid a conflict of interest, and in a perfect world, building my business whilst retaining my existing job. Don't get me wrong I like my job but, LA's in my opinion are fast becoming an unstable place to work, and my concern for my role being 'streamlined into a joint collaborative customer focused hybrid hub based pay reviewed career graded' role....in other words being swept out from under my feet are growing. 

Has anyone considered, or done similar to this? Equally, is the grass greener in the private sector? Is a switch from LA to Private achievable? 

Thanks. 

I've been in and out of public sector. I couldn't stand to go back to a Council, but I have about 10 council clients and it's nice to do a really good job for them then walk away with a fee, politics-free. But in the private sector there's no safety net, and for a new business no sick pay, no paid holidays, all the flexi time you want if you don't need money and you have to be everything from admin to finance to dogsbody to IT support to boss. You overprice a job, you lose it, you underprice a job, you get it and lose money. It can be ruthless until you build up a client base of people who want you for your quality.

Do a business plan. Target client base, target coverage, competitors, quals needed, insurance needed, equipment and premises needed, going rates for fees, overheads, honest take-home for a few years as you fumble around learning from mistakes. Versus all the good and bad bits of LA post. It's all one big field, grass is the same shade everywhere, it comes down to personal choice, and ability if that is a consideration.

• Like 2

On 15/12/2021 at 16:46, daltontrees said:

I've been in and out of public sector. I couldn't stand to go back to a Council, but I have about 10 council clients and it's nice to do a really good job for them then walk away with a fee, politics-free. But in the private sector there's no safety net, and for a new business no sick pay, no paid holidays, all the flexi time you want if you don't need money and you have to be everything from admin to finance to dogsbody to IT support to boss. You overprice a job, you lose it, you underprice a job, you get it and lose money. It can be ruthless until you build up a client base of people who want you for your quality.

Do a business plan. Target client base, target coverage, competitors, quals needed, insurance needed, equipment and premises needed, going rates for fees, overheads, honest take-home for a few years as you fumble around learning from mistakes. Versus all the good and bad bits of LA post. It's all one big field, grass is the same shade everywhere, it comes down to personal choice, and ability if that is a consideration.

There . That's the top and bottom of it . Go back on the tools 😁 👍