Dropped kerb planning rejected due to RPA

Gajendra

8 hours ago, Gajendra said:

Update: I have submitted my appeal. Let's wait and see what happens. There were 45 trees on that roan and 40 of them had dropped kerb within 1.5m from the tree. I know LA will just say that was done before the legislation got changed but how can changing something on a paper in last few years will save those 40 trees if this is wrong? Maybe I am naive but I just don't get it. The distance between two trees is 9m and I only want to build 2.4m dropped kerb in the middle of these tree. Fingers crossed LA will offer me some lifeline.

The other drop kerbs are probably historic. Installed when trees were smaller and so RPAs were smaller and root damage less significant.  

1 hour ago, Chris at eden said:

They really don’t.  People only ever see the bad.  I’ve worked on both sides for years and the private sector is no different. Good and bad exist in both.  You should see some of the stuff consultants try to get through planning.  As a TO you can write a consultation pointing out 20 issues for them to clarify, they will do 3 and resubmit. TO then has to go through all the new docs to point out the same issues.  Applicants then moan when decisions are late. You can end doing 6 or 7 consultations on the same thing when realistically you shouldn’t need more than 2. 

Point taken!  You have more experience of the private sector than myself:  Kevin perfectly described mine of the public.

Good and bad in both - yep, for sure 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Gajendra said:

Update: I have submitted my appeal. Let's wait and see what happens. There were 45 trees on that roan and 40 of them had dropped kerb within 1.5m from the tree. I know LA will just say that was done before the legislation got changed but how can changing something on a paper in last few years will save those 40 trees if this is wrong? Maybe I am naive but I just don't get it. The distance between two trees is 9m and I only want to build 2.4m dropped kerb in the middle of these tree. Fingers crossed LA will offer me some lifeline.

It sounds like there's planty of room but you have a 2.4m crossing plus a raduis/transition kerb which adds another 1m or so either side which takes it to 4.4m total.

I appreciate they use a different calculation to my LA and I don't know the dbh of the trees, but the bigger tree would a min distance of 2.5m and the smaller tree 2m.

They also like to have the crossing Central where possible.

Hope this makes senses, but basically it's close.

• 4 weeks later...

Update: Yesterday, Virgin media came to install new cable for us and guess what they started digging the pavement!! I asked them how come they were allowed to dig and they said they have permission to dig from the council. They dug about 1.5ft deep, surely I don't have to dig that deep to install dropped kerb. I have sent a new email to council with all the pictures let's see what they have to say about this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Gajendra said:

Update: Yesterday, Virgin media came to install new cable for us and guess what they started digging the pavement!! I asked them how come they were allowed to dig and they said they have permission to dig from the council. They dug about 1.5ft deep, surely I don't have to dig that deep to install dropped kerb. I have sent a new email to council with all the pictures let's see what they have to say about this.

Exposing councils hypocrisy- contact local papers? 

The difference between you and virgin, is they know they cannot bully virgin, as they know virgin have the money to take them to court and clean them out.

LA managers are scared to take decisions despite the fact that they are paid as managers to take decisions. They are DEFINITELY scared to take decisions that might rub virgin up the wrong way..

One law for those with money, another for those without..

john..

1 hour ago, doobin said:

Exposing councils hypocrisy- contact local papers? 

Jumping to conclusions, the cable co. could be lying. In my expereince they don't get all (or any of) the permissions they need or if they do it's conditional on following NJUG guidelines, which they couldn't spell never mind follow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, john87 said:

The difference between you and virgin, is they know they cannot bully virgin, as they know virgin have the money to take them to court and clean them out.

LA managers are scared to take decisions despite the fact that they are paid as managers to take decisions. They are DEFINITELY scared to take decisions that might rub virgin up the wrong way..

One law for those with money, another for those without..

john..

Missing an important point here, cable operators have powers to take entry to footways under the PUSWA or New Street Works Acts, the Council can't stop them in most situations. I used to work for a Council when the town I worked in first got cable. They started off by wanting to use Council owned verges because the dig was cheaper but I insisted on individual wayleaves and I checked on NJUG adherence and quality of reinstatement, so much so that they changed instead to digging up pavements because they didn't need wayleaves and I had no power to supervise. In most locations they were in and out before you knew it, leaving only a slowly sinking reinstatement to show for it for years to come.

Edited by daltontrees
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

Missing an important point here, cable operators have powers to take entry to footways under the PUSWA or New Street Works Acts, the Council can't stop them in most situations. I used to work for a Council when the town I worked in first got cable. They started off by wanting to use Council owned verges because the dig was cheaper but I insisted on individual wayleaves and I checked on NJUG adherence and quality of reinstatement, so much so that they changed instead to digging up pavements because they didn't need wayleaves and I had no power to supervise. In most locations they were in and out before you knew it, leaving only a slowly sinking reinstatement to show for it for years to come.

Thanks Julian, what does this mean for me? Are you suggesting that council could still tell me what is done is done and I still have no chance? If that is the case I might as well get someone to install the dropped kerb and tell council to go after Virgin first then come to me haha