Woodburner...

john87

6 minutes ago, Billhook said:

Have you found a copy of Wood Heat yet?

Well, i thought i had. There was one on ebay. I bought it, was apparently good condition blah blah. Few days later get an email to say that the book had been damaged in storage and would i like a different book. What they mean is, they never had one in the first place.. So, never EVER buy a book from a place called "world of books" as they are liars..

Still waiting for the refund...

john..

1 minute ago, john87 said:

Well, i thought i had. There was one on ebay. I bought it, was apparently good condition blah blah. Few days later get an email to say that the book had been damaged in storage and would i like a different book. What they mean is, they never had one in the first place.. So, never EVER buy a book from a place called "world of books" as they are liars..

Still waiting for the refund...

john..

Perhaps it caught fire!

My 2 pennies in all of this, I have an open fire in the main bedroom upstairs and a stove in the living room, with storage heaters that are never used.

If I have cold house, I light the upstairs fire and it draws air from all the drafts.. which are mainly through the downstairs floorboards and pulls warm air upstairs. Heats it up a lot quicker. As for heat output... not very much effect in actually warming up the house on its own though.

Efficiency.. my 5kw stove has a 6" flue, the 12" fire upstairs has 12" square flue... working this out about 5 times the area upstairs and then 5 times the amount of warm air can go up the small fire chimney? Hot air rises and if that fire is out overnight warm air from the house is still going up and no heat at all from no fire. I put a board over it when not in use. Efficiency is good and takes into account that a lot of 'room' warm air isn't also sucked up the chimney with the combustion gasses. Stove design helps for a more complete burn, more volatile gasses go up the chimney from an open fire, more get burned in a stove.

Both chimneys go through the main bedroom and even with a steel liner you can feel the heat from the downstairs stove.

Comment earlier about a couple or 4" drains by the fire for air flow. I have exactly the same, a 5" pipe directly under the stove leading to the crawl space under the floor. Put your hand over it and you can feel the air being drawn up it when the fire is on.

• Like 2