How many hours do you work a year?

Woodworks

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

I’d have thought farmers work dawn til dusk. 🤣

Keep in mind in the winter that’s not many hours really.

They be using work lights in winter. Up at three in the morning for lambing/calving, working through the night at baling time, always dicking about with machines or sommat after dark in winter, in the rain... Long hours, but more "lifestyle" than "work".... Maybe I have a romanticized notion of what's involved. 

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

They be using work lights in winter. Up at three in the morning for lambing/calving, working through the night at baling time, always dicking about with machines or sommat after dark in winter, in the rain... Long hours, but more "lifestyle" than "work".... Maybe I have a romanticized notion of what's involved. 

You where talking about 'back in the day' and 1900. You also mention working from dusk til dawn. 

Now you've switched to modern day. 

Make your mind up. :D

6 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

You where talking about 'back in the day' and 1900. You also mention working from dusk til dawn. 

Now you've switched to modern day. 

Make your mind up. :D

True. Back in the day they actually worked though. Scythes and spades etc. And from an early age too, mind. Modern farmers mostly tootle around on the quad or tractor. I've milked a cow. Bloody hard work, forearms aching after, and dangerous. And that's just one animal, twice a day for a couple o days... The lassies in 1900 got through I dunno how many cows a day. Christ they must have had some grip, I'd be embarrassed to compare myself to one o them. So basically, yes, farmers today work long hours but it's all really work, as such. 

It may be a tad misleading because its an "average". Automation is one factor but does it take into consideration the unemployed,those on job avoidance schemes/further education, the early pensioned off and the expanding elderly population? All of these factors would dilute an average hours worked.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb