Folding chipper spout

Gray git

10 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

They'll straddle the rail then like they did with the Hilux.  Rail Roaders and trolleys only on the rails where I worked but much removal of panels to get machines in for off track work.

Straddle is better than in 4ft and risk ripping track off or dislodging a clip etc! I too have seen road2rail kit and trolley stuff which does work, but nowt beats a SafeTrac or SureTrak to up/down or across/along slopes. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, PeteB said:

nowt beats a SafeTrac

The 220?? was the best as it was slightly lower and a 10" square feed IIRC, I only watched but if it had turned over at sutton coldfield it would have rolled all the way down and onto the track even though we were a few tens of feet off track. I was walking and using my hands on the slope.

12 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

The 220?? was the best as it was slightly lower and a 10" square feed IIRC, I only watched but if it had turned over at sutton coldfield it would have rolled all the way down and onto the track even though we were a few tens of feet off track. I was walking and using my hands on the slope.

Tad wider than the 1928, tad heavier, and a couple of hp more but sales died off when the 1928 was birthed. Engine changes made spawned the Evo205. Epic....if you were in my area and did rail work, I'd cond and see you next week with with her!

2 minutes ago, PeteB said:

Tad wider than the 1928, tad heavier, and a couple of hp more but sales died off when the 1928 was birthed. Engine changes made spawned the Evo205. Epic....if you were in my area and did rail work, I'd cond and see you next week with with her!

I retired 5 years ago, introduced myself to you at the APF show that year.

We done a few but dropped that style in favour of other ways of doing it. Being a manufacturer,  we got far more responsibility to protect folk. In theory, a folding chute has to protect folk from being able to access the rotating flywheel by sticking their arm down the tube!. Hence the micro switch on a QuadChip or the sprung loaded flap on the Evo165D.....

In all honesty though Pete would you give some one a job who was capable of doing something as retarded as that? or let any where near a wood chipper in the first place.
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, MattyF said:

In all honesty though Pete would you give some one a job who was capable of doing something as retarded as that? or let any where near a wood chipper in the first place.

I know of a lad who had his hand inside a blocked chipper and turned the key (mangling himself in the process). He was NPTC trained/assessed, and his employer ended up in a bit of trouble.

They walk amongst us sadly…

• Like 1

I know of a lad who had his hand inside a blocked chipper and turned the key (mangling himself in the process). He was NPTC trained/assessed, and his employer ended up in a bit of trouble.
They walk amongst us sadly…

Aye ,I know of a lad around here who put his hand in a missing inspection cover for the blades on a TW150 as it was running to see what would happen or what was in there .. [emoji51]
I think that's a different thread though on the ability's of nptc trained folk...

35 minutes ago, MattyF said:

Aye ,I know of a lad around here who put his hand in a missing inspection cover for the blades on a TW150 as it was running to see what would happen or what was in there .. emoji51.png
I think that's a different thread though on the ability's of nptc trained folk...

I had to do the NPTC chipper course for a contract we were on a few years ago. The assessor had never done any work in the industry - he’d been trained to assess as his day-to-day work was rehabilitating young offenders and they must have been offering them this course I assume. 

‘You’re good at chipping, definitely know what you are doing’ he said to me, seemingly amazed at my productivity…
It was around that time that I started to see through some of the cash-cow training courses that now predominate our industry. 
(Not long after that one of the utility companies we worked for decided that everyone needed to do their NPTC blower tickets, in spite of them authorising us all to climb around their live 11Kv power lines with chainsaws… I refused to put any of my lads through such a bullshit course and said I’d take the blowers out of the vans before jumping through such a ridiculous hoop). 

• Like 4

Some of the hoops or regulations that machine manufacturers have to work too is often beyond the comprehension of sensible people at times.....

All new chippers have a slightly longer infeed chute, all have to have a bottom infeed control bar and all have to have an infeed stopping button (or two) on the top of the infeed chute. This was  insisted upon by a foreign HSE department as anyone stood in the infeed chute, kicking in brash or chogs, was in danger of being hurt and, once passed the Red bar, had no control over the infeed rollers!

The infeed chute has to be of a certain length, top, bottom and sides, preventing anyone reaching in to grab the rollers.

A discharge chute has to be a certain length or shape so that no one is able to put their arm down the thing too close to the rotor. If the chute is designed to be removable,  it cannot be too easily removed or tools or thought process needed to complete the act.  It may need an interlocking interface to secure the hole or make the thing safe etc.

In fewer words, we have to try and make them idiot proof....

• Like 4