Small chipper advice please

WiltshireMike

Looking to buy a small chipper for large domestic property - many trees plus various bushes etc.  Ideally towable behind a quad and high spout for discharging into hedgerow or trailer. Limited budget so considering decent s/h examples, I've whittled the options down to:

o  Timberwolf 13/75 - UK made, Honda GX390, good solid machine, disc, tall chute and low outlet.

o  Jansen 1500E - Chinese made but some good vids on YouTube, Loncin engine, drum, well rated, high swivel spout, towable

o  Hansa C7 - NZ made, solid quality, disc, Honda GX200, lowish outlet

o  DR Professional - US made (?), appears solid, B&S engine, drum, high spout, towable

o  Jo Beau / Greenmech - drum, excellent quality, high spout, bit too expensive

All comments welcomed, especially from actual users ...

• Like 2

I have a Jansen flail mower, its fine - the Loncins & Lifans are good as as mentioned better than the Briggs equivalents iMHO. They're copies of Hondas so parts can be pretty easy to find too. I have a Sinolink ATV chipper I brought in from China myself. Its a design widely replicated so here's the pros and cons;

Pros - not badly made TBH. It was relatively easy to assemble although if I was making them I would change some design points. The rotating spout is useless for example.
- It does just about manage 12cm as advertised - 10 is safe

- Its not let me down yet. The Lifan engine is good
- Tyres are good, as are the hubs. Although its heavy its well balanced over the axles, so not hard to move around.

Cons - Its noisy AF. But then all those basically unmuffled 4 strokes are. So be aware your neighbours will not love you for it.
- The drum design wont shred masses of stuff at once. It's a chipper. If you put in alot of pine fir or too much leaf from summer deciduous in you'll just be clearing it out every 2 mins. 

- The feed narrows enough that you need to ensure harder stuff is trimmed before going in. Flexy fresh cut will bend to fit the hole as its dragged in, the stuffer stuff wont.
- The wide stance extensions meant my chassis bent at the axle plates. Ive remedied this with some M10 bar that spans the two mounting plates rather than the bolts they installed. I think if Id directly mounted the axles that would not have been an issue, but then it wouldn't be as stable off road.
- Its bigger than you think it will be. Its a bit of a beastie.

SINOLINK.LTD

Find featured wood chippers from Sinolink!! Order Sinolink GS-120 15 HP LIFAN Gas Powered Wood Chipper Shredder...

GS-120-1_1296x.jpeg

Edited by Ben Pinnick

Probably the same unit - 

WWW.BLACKTOOLS.CO.UK

Price Drop for September 21 until stock lasts was £1782 now £1498 Black tools UK Brand 2000GTE PRO,  15hp, Key start...

TBH if shipping wasn't bonkers expensive I'd say import one, but it is. Thats why I stopped bringing in stuff from China (for now).

If you want something really compact (Store in garage/shed) then you need to scale it down. Something like this is cheap enough to take a punt on and may be all you need - 

FOREST-MASTER.COM

Buy ex-demonstration compact FM6DD wood chipper in the Forest Master Outlet. Free working day delivery available...

Edited by Ben Pinnick

HI, we are a GreenMech dealer and based in Wiltshire. We have a new CS100 18hp in stock at £4,450 plus vat.

They are expensive compared to some makes / models with smaller engines yes, but they do hold their value. For example we just sold a used 2015 CS100 18hp this week for £2,750 plus vat.

If you are near us you're welcome to have a demo.  From a back up point of view we have all the spares on the shelf. 3 year full parts and labour warranty. Finance available. 

Noticed your comments on some models that they are towable, the CS100 is also towable. The prop stand leg at the front flips around to form a tow bar. If you look at GM's website you should be able to find an image. The CS100 is also made in the UK :) 

The high discharge spout is great for chipping into a big pile, builder bags, trailers or wheelie bins.

Edited by GA Groundcare

I tried a couple of the cheap Chinese chipper that look like a Greenmech CS100 copy and they were utter rubbish. 
I have had the Greenmech CS100 with the 18hp engine with electric start. It was a fantastic chipper and I rate it highly. I part exchanged it in towards a newvGreenmech Evo165D in the end.
But I do still miss not having a Small CS100 and I am often on a job where I wish I still had it as well as my bigger chipper.
I am sure that in the future I will buy another CS100. Yes they do cost more, but it is worth it IMHO.

JGS_Greenmech_CS_100_Chipper.JPG

JGS_Greenmech-CS100-Pic.jpeg

Greenmech_CS100-03.jpg

Greenmech_CS100_Dolmar_6100.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies, guys, really helpful.  Pouring over YT vids the smaller ~6hp machines have correspondingly small inlet chutes and struggle with kinks or side branches ... that said, most of the best 'self feeding' shots seem to be using lleylandii which is unlikely to hang up in the feed chute.  Garage storage (with feed and outlet chutes removed) suggests a drum model with vertical belt.  Would LOVE a CS100 but way outside domestic budget. 

How much is the cs80 @GA Groundcare? It may fit the budget better.

If not take a peek at The wheeled version of this perruzo, it may be a bit cheaper than the cs100 and is every bit as good. I’ve used the tracked version lots and it punches well above it weight as will the green mech cs 80 or cs 100

However from a moral point of view it is a shameless rip off of the greenmech, if that worries you.

https://www.ryetec.co.uk/peruzzo-tb100-chipper/

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Conor Wright said:

I picked up  gtm 1300 drum chipper new for around 2k. Dutch made, honda engine and well built. It does all I expect from it. Only Downside in my opinion is the chute is fixed. A lot of the jansens and gms have turntable chutes which are a big advantage

Don’t let the website pictures of European looking men in overalls (gtm, Jansen etc) fool you. It’s the same Chinese drum unit and chassis available on alibaba for peanuts, just with a Honda engine. All those sites saying ‘assembled in Europe’ are basically taking it out the crate and bolting the wheels on, that’s all. If you want to spend stupid money on a Chinese unit, you could buy this! Interestingly, they are claiming it’s ALL european. Have they ripped off the Chinese rip off? 🤣🤣

have a look through the wee chipper thread, only recently I posted the link for a turntable chute you can add to them. 

@WiltshireMike- you need 13hp, the 6hp ones will be a waste of time even for domestic.

If you can’t justify  a cs100 as you’re just domestic, the Chinese ones will do you fine. May want a little fettling, but will do the job just as good once sorted. Usually blade/anvil gap is miles too large. I’m constantly amazed what mine will swallow. 

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1