550 XP on the spot buy..

Guest Gimlet

Cheers. I might have to get one of those for next season. Does it cope with sitting there idling? I try and avoid that but I've just been doing a garden hedge with a lot of fused and contorted common lime in it and the saw is constantly needed so tends to sit chugging over rather a lot. I admit, I was partly swayed to buy an auto-tune saw on the assumption that the ability to self-adjust its fueling would mean it would cope with this better without fouling its plug.  

2 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Cheers. I might have to get one of those for next season. Does it cope with sitting there idling? I try and avoid that but I've just been doing a garden hedge with a lot of fused and contorted common lime in it and the saw is constantly needed so tends to sit chugging over rather a lot. I admit, I was partly swayed to buy an auto-tune saw on the assumption that the ability to self-adjust its fueling would mean it would cope with this better without fouling its plug.  

Yeah no problem, i leave it ticking over for ages

On 03/02/2022 at 19:44, spudulike said:

Sounds a little more promising. 

I am not 100% sure but...please stay with me.....some pumps use an angled shaft end and the adjuster moves its end further to the edge of the shaft to increase the shaft throw/movement thus increasing the flow or closer to the middle thus reducing the shaft movement/throw thus........ reducing the flow.

I had a 661 in recently and the request was for more oil usually done by bringing the adjuster closer to the edge of the shaft but the adjuster had two positions, high and low and the adjuster had two diameter ends both giving two oiler positions only.

My thinking is the MK2 550XP is probably the same....ADW will chime in soon if he isn't delving in to the Downton Abbey box DVD set again....or does he use VHS...maybe even Betamax;)

The grease is probably as you say, just assembly grease from around the oil pinion, clutch bearing etc...not had much new kit in tbh....most are old bangers!

You are absolutely correct about the way the pump works sir,I have to confess I have increased the angle with the grinder on some machines to increase oil flow, just need to be careful as it is timed to the pick up flat the other end.

• Like 1

Joe means a 0.325 pitch 1.3mm gauge rather than the normal 0.325 1.5mm gauge. 
I did a lot of trials of my own on the Oregon 95VPX 1.3 chain on my 357 and it was 15% faster.
You are basically cutting out a much thinner channel with the narrow kerf chain - like comparing a 1" wood chisel to a 1/8th" chisel - the narrower one uses much less of a mallet wallop!!
Oregon don't make the VPX anymore but I believe they do an alternative - you also need a ProLite bar to go with it or a suitable equivalent. 

Cuts 15% quicker ??? [emoji15]
Jesus, the thing already cuts like a Lazer .
I shall be investing in the setup once I’m through the current chains .
Nice one Joe and thank you Spudders for the explanation [emoji1307][emoji481]

22 minutes ago, Treerover said:

Cuts 15% quicker ??? emoji15.png
Jesus, the thing already cuts like a Lazer .
I shall be investing in the setup once I’m through the current chains .
Nice one Joe and thank you Spudders for the explanation emoji1307.pngemoji481.png

The 95 VPX was replaced by the TLX, the new one has a 35 degree filing angle. I bought some to test when it came out, it’s okay but I found the metal to be too soft and it didn’t keep its edge well, you have to be meticulous to get the edge spot on again. The Husqvarna alternative is the SP33, I found it to be an excellent all round chain. The other alternative is the Stihl micro chisel, keeps its edge really well. All are 1.3mm gauge, the husky and stihl being semi chisel, available from Rob at Chainsawbars.co.uk, treat yourself to a Sugi Hara light type bar in 1.3mm gauge, you won’t regret it.

On the subject, I bought a newer mk2 the other day.

According to the guy the newer ones run a different bar/chain combo.

So he got me a new bar and chain for the older one (the bar had seized anyway which is why I went in there) so I was running the same on both.

What was he talking about? The width or what?

ECA0D804-3118-4A27-8AEC-604A05EE38EB.jpeg

386EDCB4-9EDC-4718-8578-AF78E1918A70.jpeg