Confusing Bar Sizes...

Rob D

17 hours ago, gand said:

I can see what Rob is doing here, it make life easier selling bars and chains. Unfortunately there's still folk who ask for 16" bar or chain and haven't a clue what saw it is. I'd like to say it's the domestic users, but unfortunately it's not.

Yep correct - and I was like that when on the tools - so I've sort of given up on the education route as people just aren't interested in it [and I don't blame it is exceedingly dull stuff].

So the new range will make it as simple as possible to where you will only need to know what saw it is you have and the length bar you want - and that's it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think that until saw manufactures make the distance from the powermate sprocket to the tensioning peg exactly the same on all makes of saw you will be up against it . Hopefully I am wrong !

It won't make a difference because 1) we'll call the bar length as to what works ie. 12" for a Stihl MS201T and 12" for a Husky 12" T540XP will be called 12" - and both will take 44 drive links of 3/8 lo pro BUT the bars will likely be different lengths. They will still be called 12" and they will still take 44 drive links. It doesn't really matter if the cutting lengths are slightly different the main thing is it makes sense numerically.

8 hours ago, Stere said:

Thought as the 2 saw makers are euro based companies they might be using cm and rounding to there nearest inch?

Bar mount patterns are also very confusing ....

Think  I remember someone on here saying the were trying to retrofit bars and chains to simplify there many saws too reduce the number of different types of chains and bars  they run.

Yep - the parts system for each manufacturer is different - and mainly not intuitive:

Stihl large mount is D025 [at end of part number] in Oregon speak and 3003 [at beginning of part number] in Stihl speak and S1 in Cannon [which makes the most sense S = Stihl], GB is SN [still has an S in it]. So all these mounts are the same - but called different things by each manufacturer.

Not many know the bar mount - but they do mainly know their chainsaw model and the chainsaw type.

Really it is only the large saws 62cc and above in Stihl and Husky that you can use the same bar on. Smaller bars it is harder to cross ref as there are differences in oiling and what have you but at least if they shared chains it would be better. Over 62cc you can fairly easily use the same bar on both saws.

32 minutes ago, Rob D said:

It won't make a difference because 1) we'll call the bar length as to what works ie. 12" for a Stihl MS201T and 12" for a Husky 12" T540XP will be called 12" - and both will take 44 drive links of 3/8 lo pro BUT the bars will likely be different lengths. They will still be called 12" and they will still take 44 drive links. It doesn't really matter if the cutting lengths are slightly different the main thing is it makes sense numerically.

Ah . Got it Rob .