Confusing Bar Sizes...

Rob D

'Why is this bar labelled as a 24" bar when I wanted a 25" bar - but then I noticed that the drive link count is the same so it doesn't make sense?'

Or

'I got a 36" Stihl bar here but the Husky 36" bar doesn't take quite the same chain - why is that if they are the same length? It's annoying as now I need two lengths of chain'

Or

'On your website it has a 16" bar that has 56 drive links, and another 16" bar that has 58 drive links - must be a typo!?'

It doesn't make sense and the reason is there is no good reason for it. Often those good old manufacturers seem to take pleasure in their product standing out from the crowd - not through being innovative, ground breaking or better - but by being different enough so that it doesn't look like they are copying anyone else. Or maybe it's good old fashioned ignorance - or maybe they simply aren't bothered... whatever - there is no good reason for it that I can work out.

Both the Stihl 25" bar and the Husky 24" bar take 3/8 chain at 84 drive links. Now would it not have been easier if they were both labelled 24" or both 25"? Either one would work.

image.png.df422c4b17ad8f92588cfa57d9b2b055.png

Lesson - the length as stated by the manufacturer will always be a GUIDE - not an exact. 24" is 24" - an exact measurement - but not when it comes to a chainsaw guide bar. in some ways it works better as 24" is better than 24.35" but it would be better if everyone agreed to a set amount of measurements.

So in the above example - the bar length is nominated as 25" and 24" however the drive link is the same.

But it gets worse - in this example the bar length is the same but the drive link count is different! And this is for the same saw...

image.png.708b1fa8676080619c4998ea6a894d22.png

So conclusion is - don't worry too much about it - if the bar you bought is an inch or two within what you wanted good enough... or if you want a more exact way to measure compare the drive link counts.

One benefit of this mis matched motley of measuring is the time is ripe for a brand new range of guidebars that looks to synchronize everything. But I've no idea who would be thinking of bringing out a range like this in the near future say around April/May 2022 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

'Why is this bar labelled as a 24" bar when I wanted a 25" bar - but then I noticed that the drive link count is the same so it doesn't make sense?'

Or

'I got a 36" Stihl bar here but the Husky 36" bar doesn't take quite the same chain - why is that if they are the same length? It's annoying as now I need two lengths of chain'

Or

'On your website it has a 16" bar that has 56 drive links, and another 16" bar that has 58 drive links - must be a typo!?'

It doesn't make sense and the reason is there is no good reason for it. Often those good old manufacturers seem to take pleasure in their product standing out from the crowd - not through being innovative, ground breaking or better - but by being different enough so that it doesn't look like they are copying anyone else. Or maybe it's good old fashioned ignorance - or maybe they simply aren't bothered... whatever - there is no good reason for it that I can work out.

Both the Stihl 25" bar and the Husky 24" bar take 3/8 chain at 84 drive links. Now would it not have been easier if they were both labelled 24" or both 25"? Either one would work.

image.png.df422c4b17ad8f92588cfa57d9b2b055.png

Lesson - the length as stated by the manufacturer will always be a GUIDE - not an exact. 24" is 24" - an exact measurement - but not when it comes to a chainsaw guide bar. in some ways it works better as 24" is better than 24.35" but it would be better if everyone agreed to a set amount of measurements.

So in the above example - the bar length is nominated as 25" and 24" however the drive link is the same.

But it gets worse - in this example the bar length is the same but the drive link count is different! And this is for the same saw...

image.png.708b1fa8676080619c4998ea6a894d22.png

So conclusion is - don't worry too much about it - if the bar you bought is an inch or two within what you wanted good enough... or if you want a more exact way to measure compare the drive link counts.

One benefit of this mis matched motley of measuring is the time is ripe for a brand new range of guidebars that looks to synchronize everything. But I've no idea who would be thinking of bringing out a range like this in the near future say around April/May 2022 🙄

Its coz different manufactures choose to make the distance from the drive sprocket to the peg that fits the tensioner a different dimension  to each others bar .

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Its coz different manufactures choose to make the distance from the drive sprocket to the peg that fits the tensioner a different dimension  to each others bar .

Yep but what ever they do - if the drive link count is the same - why not for ease just call it the same length.

1 minute ago, Rob D said:

Yep but what ever they do - if the drive link count is the same - why not for ease just call it the same length.

Why not indeed Rob . Take off the bucking spikes and the usable lenght is nothing like the printed length . 🙂

3 hours ago, Rob D said:

But I've no idea who would be thinking of bringing out a range like this in the near future say around April/May 2022

Is this a very mild hint that something like that might be coming Rob? :thumbup1:

BTW thanks for the 64" milling bar. It looks and feels great! 

16 minutes ago, AJStrees said:

Is this a very mild hint that something like that might be coming Rob? :thumbup1:

BTW thanks for the 64" milling bar. It looks and feels great! 

Glad you like it :)

Yep there is def something coming, a few new developments really - that will aim to simplify things and also synchronise across the whole bars eco system eg. a 12" lo pro bar that you would put on a Stihl 201T, Husky 540XP, Echo 361 - will all be set to 44 drive links of 3/8 lo pro .050

Also to note we'll be looking at tidying up other areas ie. bars will all have a number of drive links that give an equal number of cutters on both left and right - so 44 drive links = 22 cutters = 11 on each side. No breaks or a left cutter followed by another left cutter [which is only a minor thing but if you can avoid it why not].

As well as that we also have some chains I'll likely get people to have a go with on a basis of - buy this chain - write up a post on here - get 50% refunded [50% refunded irrespective of if feedback is positive or negative].

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, Rob D said:

Glad you like it :)

Yep there is def something coming, a few new developments really - that will aim to simplify things and also synchronise across the whole bars eco system eg. a 12" lo pro bar that you would put on a Stihl 201T, Husky 540XP, Echo 361 - will all be set to 44 drive links of 3/8 lo pro .050

Also to note we'll be looking at tidying up other areas ie. bars will all have a number of drive links that give an equal number of cutters on both left and right - so 44 drive links = 22 cutters = 11 on each side. No breaks or a left cutter followed by another left cutter [which is only a minor thing but if you can avoid it why not].

As well as that we also have some chains I'll likely get people to have a go with on a basis of - buy this chain - write up a post on here - get 50% refunded [50% refunded irrespective of if feedback is positive or negative].

Sounds great! Yes as of late I have created a bit of a log of the different chains so I can keep track of the drive links, etc..., otherwise one can spend a fair bit of time having to work it out. For example like you say. A sugi hara 18" bar is very different to an oregon 18" bar on my ego battery and totally different drive links to a husky 445 with 18" bar. And when you have 10 or so different saws to choose from, it can be a bit of a thing trying to order up all the necessary chains. Along with that, as they are all different, there is no point trying to buy a role of chain that you like because undoubtedly it will only be useful on one or two of your saws. So not very economical. Me thinks. 

So having it all work as one would be very useful in the future. :thumbup1:

Thanks Rob! 

I can see what Rob is doing here, it make life easier selling bars and chains. Unfortunately there's still folk who ask for 16" bar or chain and haven't a clue what saw it is. I'd like to say it's the domestic users, but unfortunately it's not.

• Like 1

Thought as the 2 saw makers are euro based companies they might be using cm and rounding to there nearest inch?

Bar mount patterns are also very confusing ....

Think  I remember someone on here saying the were trying to retrofit bars and chains to simplify there many saws too reduce the number of different types of chains and bars  they run.

Edited by Stere