Things to look out for when buying a used chipper

Spoonz

I’m in the market for buying a used chipper, but It’ll be my first tow behind machine and with only a low budget I’ll need to know what’s the main things to look for when buying an older machine. What are the expensive things to go and the signs things to look out for? Be chipper specific please! I’m alright with engine maintenance. 

cheers!! 

Bearing play:

Open the top cover exposing the cutting disc and use a 3 foot long 2X4" to lever the Disc to and fro.Any noticeable movement of the disc and shaft means the bearings are on their way out.

Apply the handbrake,if the handle points almost to the sky,the brakes need adjusting or are almost worn out.Push the tow hitch in and out to see if the dampner is decent.

Crouch down and grap the tyre with both hands and try and pull it outwards sharply,on a smaller chipper this will give you some indicaton of the wheel bearing state.Repeat for both sides.

Have a look at the Radiator,is it caked with shite or nice and clear?

Take the top off the Hydraulic fluid tank,have a sniff,does it smell burnt?

Run it up,play with the hydraulic infeed speed,can you turn the feed rollers right down? If they wont or they wont feed with the are crawling the pump is shagged.

Have a look along the chassis or frame,alot of  chippers get airborne over speed bumps by hamfisted muppets.Look/feel for cracks.

The above will help somewhat I hope,some of the things to look for a Chipper specific but the above will hopefully be added to by others on here.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Watch out for it having thrown a blade at some point. Run your hand round the chamber where the flywheel is. On my Jensen this had happened before I got it and it had damaged the hydraulic tank very slightly - just enough to bubble out slowly ☹️
blade bolts should be new or at least in good condition

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Spoonz said:

Thanks for your top quality post! 👏 roughly how much would bearings cost to replace on the cutting disc ? 

I dont know,its a bit specific to the machine.

Its a DIY job for me. I can do them on a Jensen alone in a Day but I usually take two because I pull the rad and clean it plus water blast the engine bay.leaving the machine to dry overnight.

11 hours ago, rapalaman said:

Watch out for it having thrown a blade at some point. Run your hand round the chamber where the flywheel is. On my Jensen this had happened before I got it and it had damaged the hydraulic tank very slightly - just enough to bubble out slowly ☹️
blade bolts should be new or at least in good condition

Having the chip chamber and hydro tank share a wall is a terrible design folly.

A colleague lost his Forst for 3+months when a blade shattered and caused a hydro leak.

Repair cost around 7k euros

Stuart

14 hours ago, Spoonz said:

I’m in the market for buying a used chipper, but It’ll be my first tow behind machine and with only a low budget I’ll need to know what’s the main things to look for when buying an older machine. What are the expensive things to go and the signs things to look out for? Be chipper specific please! I’m alright with engine maintenance. 

cheers!! 

HI Spoonz, what are you looking for? We have a used GreenMech Arborist 130 23hp Honda petrol and Arborist 150 diesel in stock. Both have had extensive work carried out for resale and come with warranty.

Things to look out for...

* Brakes / running gear - What are the shoes like, are they worn out? If so then they've probably taken the drums out also, brake cables sticking? Wheel bearings ok? Hitch coupling not cracked, bent or generally worn out. Bringing this whole area up to legal / serviceable condition can be 1k. 

Are the tyres wearing uneven across the tread? If so could point to bent  / worn axle.

* Engine - Does it run well, start well and not smoke. If diesel check the radiator isnt blocked solid. Kubota engines will crack the cylinder head if overheated. Tell tale sign of this is hard to start when cold and or compression bubbles in coolant system.

* Feed rollers - In good condition with minimal damage, the pivot points / bearings (make depending) all functioning ok? Does the stress control system work ok? You can usually test this by running the chipper full speed and then dropping the revs back on the throttle until the feed rollers stop. Then increase the revs again so they start.

* Flywheel - Any damage, release the belt tension and check for play on the bearings with a lever bar. if there is movement on the bearings make sure it is actually bearing play and not the flywheel shaft moving on the inside of the bearing. If this is the case your flywheel shaft is probably worn. Check for cracking around the flywheel itself. If the flywheel bearings sound rough at low revs and get better with increased revs then they're on the way out.

* General - Why are they selling it? Ask yourself why is that person replacing a perfectly good chipper? Have they had if from new? If they have had work done by a dealer ask to see history, or call the dealer who did the work. 

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Like 1