Aussie Shiraz

Mark Bolam

I’m not a wine snob, but I normally favour Aussie Shiraz.

This isn’t a continent war, as my Dad said ‘I’ve never met a red I wouldn’t drink’.

The Aussie Shiraz’s seem to tick the boxes for me, though.

Really heavy, loads of flavour, high alcohol.

Just tried a ‘Pepperbox’ from Tesco.

£8 with Clubcard.

I’m paying over £7 for filth in my local shop now.

Bloody good.

Anyone tried it?

Or any other recommendations?

Strictly sub-£10 please.

(Although I have tried ‘The Hedonist’, but I would have to start charging more.)

I go between a smooth cotes du rhone or a punchy rioja myself. 

Have you looked into Naked Wines @Mark Bolam? You get a serious amount for your money and you directly fund indy winemakers. Pay in any amount from £20 monthly and cash in with a lovely crate or two whenever you feel like. I've just spent £260 on my Christmas order 😂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I don't drink a lot of red wine but the Mrs does! Faustino VII Rioja is amongst her favorites atm, only £6 from asda. I can sink a decent amount of ale but red wine gives me acid within a coupe of glasses.

That's one of our favourites! Punches well above is price tag.

Les Dauphins Cote du Rhone is another fantastic one for £7-8. Very smooth

Screenshot_20211203-221755_Google.jpg

• Like 4

This is one of our favourites - 

Our most reordered red, a big southern French Grenache with velvety berry fruit and rich herby spice

Shriaz (Syrah), Malbec, Cabernet all good.....you should look for the money off wines at the supermarket and then buy during the 25% off periods usually around holidays....bit like compound reduction...£10 wine with £2 off becomes £8 and then 25% off is £6....whats not to like...a £10 bottle of vino for £6. 

Joe....that Cote du Rhones is at Tesco....£7 so worth getting during the 25% off period and fingers crossed it already has £1-2 off already and it is a good vino...one we also go for.

Black stump is also a real good one - 

Our No.1 bestseller – a red charged with big, spicy Durif and Shiraz, packed with velvet fruit

We rate Laithwaites more than Naked.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, spudulike said:

This is one of our favourites - 

Our most reordered red, a big southern French Grenache with velvety berry fruit and rich herby spice

Shriaz (Syrah), Malbec, Cabernet all good.....you should look for the money off wines at the supermarket and then buy during the 25% off periods usually around holidays....bit like compound reduction...£10 wine with £2 off becomes £8 and then 25% off is £6....whats not to like...a £10 bottle of vino for £6. 

Joe....that Cote du Rhones is at Tesco....£7 so worth getting during the 25% off period and fingers crossed it already has £1-2 off already and it is a good vino...one we also go for.

Black stump is also a real good one - 

Our No.1 bestseller – a red charged with big, spicy Durif and Shiraz, packed with velvet fruit

We rate Laithwaites more than Naked.

Haven't tried laithwaites, might do at some point. Only had half a dozen NW bottles so far but each one has been exceptional for the price

• Like 1

Just now, Joe Newton said:

Haven't tried laithwaites, might do at some point. Only had half a dozen NW bottles so far but each one has been exceptional for the price

If you do, try either or both of the ones I listed, they may not be the cheapest but they are both full bodied, full of flavour and smooth.

The other tip is "19 Crimes" from Tesco....they are an interesting label but they are also damn good for the ££

• Like 2