Resinous bar oil in fuel tank!

Numptie

Hi All,

I went to use my Stihl chainsaw for the first time for a few months. Gave the bar a once over and changed the chain. Then went to add Stihl synthetic chain oil. Odd I thought, it’s very thick, probably just the near freezing conditions. I let some ‘plop’ it’s way in, then suddenly realised I was filling the fuel tank!!! Good job I hadn’t started the saw! Inverted the saw and let what I now think was resinous oil to plop out again. Poured in some fuel and gave it a good shake and poured it out. Could see no obvious signs of oil remaining in the tank. Pulled out the filter. It was a little discoloured but not coated. Removed it and cleaned with carb cleaner and gave a couple of squirts down the fuel line for good measure even though it hadn’t been run. Followed a tip online of putting a little fuel mix direct into the carb. Refuelled with clean fuel but it won’t start. Any ideas guys? Is it just a case of persevering until it fires? Choke on or off?

thanks

D

Edited by Numptie

4 hours ago, Numptie said:

Refuelled with clean fuel but it won’t start. Any ideas guys? Is it just a case of persevering until it fires? Choke on or off?

I have found it varies from saw to saw regarding how long you have to keep pulling them over after this type of mishap. Most of my Stihl chainsaws start up OK after what you describe and the action you took. On the other hand my Echo top handle saw took ages of pulling until it sputtered back to life, and the Stihl hedge cutter was similar.

4 hours ago, Numptie said:

Followed a tip online of putting a little fuel mix direct into the carb. Refuelled with clean fuel but it won’t start. 

Hi, I have to do this with one of my saws occasionally which can result in me flooding it, at which point I either walk away and leave it for a while or pull it over repeatedly with the throttle tapped fully open and the choke off which eventually clears it.

If you suspect flooding then you could also take out the plug and pull it over a few times and that should do the same job.

All engines are slightly different in their idiosyncrasies as said, if it gradually splutters back to life as above that could indicate flooding, good luck.

I got chain oil in my small top handle saw and even when I drained it it wouldn't start. I stripped the carb and everything was stuck down, the pump diaphragm and the metering was stuck. I cleaned it all out and blew it through with some carb cleaner and compressor and it fired up as normal but a bit smoky. It's a mistake you don't want to make twice. :D

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

If you suspect flooding then you could also take out the plug and pull it over a few times and that should do the same job.

Do this with the saw inverted and warm up the plug before refitting .

• Like 2

You can try the ole redneck..pull the saw over whilst holding the throttle fully open...just be careful.

Stubbys heating the plug is an old timers hack as they are called now and it works.

You really need to see if fuel is getting through the carb by checking the plug and seeing if it is damp.

If it is then you may have flooded it so turn it upside down and pull it over hard, heat the plug and then the red neck. 

It is possible that the oil if now blocking the carb, this will mean the plug will be dry or the carb needle will be held open and you will get excessive flooding. Just need to see if you have fuel and where. If nothing else works, strip the carb and flush it out then try again. You can tell what a carb is doing by seeing where the carb is lacking fuel...pump section and metering section should be full of fuel. If the metering section is dry, the needle is holding the fuel back or the gauze strainer is blocked. If there is no fuel in the pump section, the blockage is in the fuel line or filter.