Re-sawing old sleepers

trigger_andy

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

I'll dig out his vids. I have a few days to kill off-shore waiting on job.

I dont have a pic no, I was gonna get some to post here but she's since pulled the add as they are all gone. :/ 

I love the smell of real creosote though. :D Got 40 liters sitting in the garage, lovely stuff. :D 

Ah well. Maybe you got lucky, you'll find out when you get home I guess.

Nope, creosote isn't one that I like. 

But 40 litres is a lifetime supply if you only have it for the smell!

Easy way to find out how deep the creosote has penetrated is to cut one about a foot from the end.  Most likely the wood will be Nobles, Larch or Douglas unless you have some Greenheart ones that I wouldn't recommend cutting with the bandsaw..........sparks will fly from the bloody stuff.
I put a couple of old sleepers through the mill using a dull blade, didn't really make it any blunter as the de barker did  the job of flicking the stones out of them before the blade could drag them further in.
We used the half sleepers for quad bike bridges over ditches.  Wouldn't dream of using them inside let alone as a mantle, the constant smell of creosote is maybe an acquired taste, but one that most will not want to aquire.   Green oak can and does work well as a mantle, but will move a little 

The creosote is the least of your problems,most sleepers have been exposed to all sorts of weed killers at many different concentrations, got some a while back tested turned out to be hazardous waste, they advised that if cutting was required white suit and full face respirator should be used

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Stubby said:

I think that they were put in a sealed tank of creosote and then the tank is pressurized to give max penetration .  That's how stuff used to be treated here in West Dean estate any way .

If done correctly I believe there sealed in the tank then heated Which forces moisture out then sucks the creasote in as it cools

• Like 2