Is it safe to to remove these leylandii

alankearn

Question

These  leyllandii (in the photo below) were planted 15 to 20 years before the patio wall was built and the trunks of the tree are 3 to 4 inches from back of the wall.

I am thinking of cutting these trees behind the wall down at ground level and leaving the remaider of the tree and roots in the ground.

I am wondering if in time  when the stub and roots rot  will the foundations and wall become unstable

Click on link below

Thanks

TREE 2 (2).JPG

Edited by alankearn
I AM AN IDIOT

4 hours ago, alankearn said:

These  leyllandii (in the photo below) were planted 15 to 20 years before the patio wall was built and the trunks of the tree are 3 to 4 inches from back of the wall.

I am thinking of cutting these trees behind the wall down at ground level and leaving the remaider of the tree and roots in the ground.

I am wondering if in time  when the stub and roots rot  will the foundations and wall become unstable

Click on link below

Thanks

SORRY ABOUT THE DOUBLE POSTING PLEASE DELETE THIS ONE

TREE 2 (2).JPG

I think you'd probably be ok to take down as they're quite small and I'd expect the roots not to rot that quickly giving you time to monitor and possibly under pin if required.... imo

• Like 1

23 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, let me put it like this.. You leave them, and in 20 years it will be the house that is unstable, never mind a little wall.. Cut them down and be done with it..

john..

Not if they are clipped several times a year.

I remember many years ago I was asked to remove a large Laylandii, it was over 65ft tall and the trunk was about 2ft in diameter. It was the last tree in a hedge. The hedge was about 8ft tall, 2ft deep and the sides were like the felt on a billiard table. The guy cut it several times a year. The trunks on the hedge were about 4 or 5 inches. He had planted it 25+ years ago and had decided to leave the last tree un-clipped, just to see how it would do.

Nothing wrong with Laylandii as a hedge, just need to be properly maintained.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, skyhuck said:

Not if they are clipped several times a year.

I remember many years ago I was asked to remove a large Laylandii, it was over 65ft tall and the trunk was about 2ft in diameter. It was the last tree in a hedge. The hedge was about 8ft tall, 2ft deep and the sides were like the felt on a billiard table. The guy cut it several times a year. The trunks on the hedge were about 4 or 5 inches. He had planted it 25+ years ago and had decided to leave the last tree un-clipped, just to see how it would do.

Nothing wrong with Laylandii as a hedge, just need to be properly maintained.

Problem is though, as i expect you professional arborists will see all the time, is people set out with good intentions.. They plant the things and then trim them a few times.. Next thing they mean to, but not now, next week i will do it. Next week never comes, and before long the things are getting too big for them with their step ladders and electric hedgetrimmer. Then they sort of give up as they think it will be hugely expensive to get someone in to take them down..

Next thing, they are 65 feet tall as you say.

Before long i have to remove 5 silver birch trees.. Some idiot planted them alongside a path 7 feet from a building, thinking they were "little shrubs" no doubt, but then just left them..

Now the things are about 35 feet tall, [and more] and have caused the building to subside, along with terrible damp problems caused by blocked gutters etc..

Do you think that mostly this is caused by muppets that have no idea what they are planting?? [the sort of idiot that lives in a tower block and buys a greyhound]

john..