Climbing and Working with a Hernia

Darrin Turnbull

On 30/11/2021 at 08:53, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Ian, if it's in the nether regions, as opposed to stomach / umbilical(?), when you cough or sneeze (even worse) you'll know...that' s my experience anyway and Doc confirmed it. 

I got an umbilical from pushing too many boards thru a thicknesser using my lower belly rather than my hands. Used a big belt to hold the bubble in for climbing and fencing. Got it patched after a few months and been fine for two years now.

I’m still working every day, just trying not to climb/twist much, or lift heavy at work.

I’m still smashing the bench in the garage, 95x7 last night, a new PB at 52!

Benching doesn’t seem to aggravate it, although I cut out dips and chins months ago.

Any tips for pre/post op recovery?

I can take a few weeks off, but not months.

Do what the consultant tells you after, if it fails do to you over doing it or like I had mesh failure do to how bad hernia was and being do by open surgery not key hole, it took me 14 weeks to recover after second op and pick up saw. Maybe not what you wanted to hear but just be sensible is the answer.     

• Thanks 1

Thanks Paul.

The problem is most consultants say ‘rest for two weeks, you’ll be back at work in 4’ without having a single concept of what we do for a living.

I really want to get this right, I can afford one chance.

Is it best to stay reasonably active after the op, walking dogs etc.?

You need to learn to delegate I have back problems as well the hardest part of recovery was standing back and letting someone else do the work or waiting for the machine to turn up, the days of get out of the way I will show you how to do it quickly are over and the sooner you realise the quicker your recovery will be

• Like 1

I had my 2nd hernia repaired last September-had the first one done nearly 10 years before that when I was 19. Both of mine were either side of my groin and kept coming out when under strain (climbing, lifting etc). I found that sticky physio tape worked really well, as you can stretch it over the area and it helps provide a bit extra pressure to keep everything in. Took me 5 weeks post opp to recover well enough to work but I think I probably rushed back as it get sore now and again. If it’s coming out and getting “stuck out” though seriously take it easy, I went into hospital twice with mine getting stuck and it wasn’t particularly pleasant 🤮 

if you are able to get it fixed then don’t prolong it, they are much worst to fix the longer you leave them (from what I was told) my first never caused me much issue till the last few weeks before my opp, 2nd was much worst as COVID delayed any NHS treatment and private wasn’t an option! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...