Scottish Forestry - Felling Licence

TTS North

We have just exceeded our 5 cube for the quarter with one ash tree from the recent storm. Off to Cullen the morn to fish a bridge out of the water with a land slipped oak sitting on top of it. 

Never realised you were local to me. There’s certainly enough clearing up work around here to keep you going for weeks.

My wife is a community midwife and mentioned on her return home that there was a lot of hardwood trees down at Lintmill.

18 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

edited:

Wonder if our Scottish property by being jointly owned by my wife and myself automatically means an allowance of dropping or cutting up 10 cubes a quarter (rather than my personal 5) before having to ask the authority?emoji848.png

Following the recent storm and mature trees within striking distance of a neighbours house; I’m seriously considering having to drop the trees for my, their, and my unknowing insurers peace of mind. However, it’ll involve overhead power lines and a professional insured to do the job, - rather than me who’d be happy to tackle it but for the potential mentioned issues.

Jointly owned means one owner, means one allowance.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

I wonder what weight is on some of these prospective drops?IMG_1638784526.904183.thumb.jpg.9e0854cc318bdfc41d2cbd02d437813a.jpgIMG_1638784538.330145.thumb.jpg.06a874072802ce54b785bb1a6c88ef53.jpg

IMG_1638784645.870959.jpg

A small one that blew into the cemetery

You can do a rough estimate for the stem. Measure or estimate height from base to the point where the leader goes below about 75mm. Measure diameter in metres. Square the diameter, multiply by the height and divide all that by 3. That's the volume in cubes. Wet wood is generally 1 Tonne per cube, so there's the weight too. But the foliage and branches on conifers are really heavy. I don't have a formula for that.

• Like 1

You can do a rough estimate for the stem. Measure or estimate height from base to the point where the leader goes below about 75mm. Measure diameter in metres. Square the diameter, multiply by the height and divide all that by 3. That's the volume in cubes. Wet wood is generally 1 Tonne per cube, so there's the weight too. But the foliage and branches on conifers are really heavy. I don't have a formula for that.

Thank you for those pointers. I suspect that because they’re merely a woodland strip two deep that there’s too much in the way of knots for milling so will be best used for the biomass.

9 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

Never realised you were local to me. There’s certainly enough clearing up work around here to keep you going for weeks.

Between Cairnie and Ruthven. Your just the other side of the Balloch IIRC.

Nice to be home after spending the day up to thigh deep in burn, wrestling root plate of 2-3t out.

• Like 1