Scottish Forestry - Felling Licence

TTS North

22 hours ago, TTS North said:

Yes. The attached letter in this link shows how seriously SF take it these days. It's worth getting right.  SF Letter

That's a bit heavy, is it not. With a typo at the all-important bit. Writing to tell you that you were in the right but big brother is watching you, you got away with it this time but tread carefully...

Just an update. We spoke to the local conservator, who was very helpful. They have their hands full at the minute, and are fast tracking windblow applications.

We just needed to agree restocking policy and submit the Permission request. They turned it round in 24 hours and we are good to go. 3 years to clear the windblow and replant.

Thanks for the input.👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, TTS North said:

Just an update. We spoke to the local conservator, who was very helpful. They have their hands full at the minute, and are fast tracking windblow applications.

We just needed to agree restocking policy and submit the Permission request. They turned it round in 24 hours and we are good to go. 3 years to clear the windblow and replant.

Thanks for the input.👍

That's got to be a record.

You have got to appreciate, we now have separate legislation in Scotland and no Forestry Commission. Whatever rules apply or applied to England have no effect here. I have been told the 5 cube is per owner. A close look at the legislation backs this up. The exemption is to the owner, not to the land. The English legislation is worded differently and does seem to support the interpretation there of the exemption being per piece of land.

edited:

Wonder if our Scottish property by being jointly owned by my wife and myself automatically means an allowance of dropping or cutting up 10 cubes a quarter (rather than my personal 5) before having to ask the authority?[emoji848]

Following the recent storm and mature trees within striking distance of a neighbours house; I’m seriously considering having to drop the trees for my, their, and my unknowing insurers peace of mind. However, it’ll involve overhead power lines and a professional insured to do the job, - rather than me who’d be happy to tackle it but for the potential mentioned issues.

9 minutes ago, Baldbloke said:

edited:

Wonder if our Scottish property by being jointly owned by my wife and myself automatically means an allowance of dropping or cutting up 10 cubes a quarter (rather than my personal 5) before having to ask the authority?emoji848.png

Remember your garden is VERY big, gardens don't need felling licences, only your policies......

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Baldbloke said:

However, it’ll involve overhead power lines and a professional insured to do the job, - rather than me who’d be happy to tackle it but for the potential mentioned issues.

Do the power companies up there not trim/remove trees in such situations? That might at least reduce the overall volume you'll be cutting as they don't need a felling licence (at least in England AFAIK).

• Like 1

Do the power companies up there not trim/remove trees in such situations? That might at least reduce the overall volume you'll be cutting as they don't need a felling licence (at least in England AFAIK).

Good point. Yes, and they generally do a great job, but as it’s an ongoing job it’s normally limited to trimming rather than tree removal. Maybe I can suggest that the trees of most concern are those within striking distance of their spur line serving the neighbours house (as well as being the ones of most concern to me because they could also hit the neighbours house.

Further along from that particular line of very mature spruces (perhaps 100+ years) one of the smaller trees did fall southwards in the direction of the house, but further up the road, and into the cemetery. Luckily a quick re-erection of a stone and tidy up sorted that out.

I’d have liked to have posted pictures, but our internet is pathetic and times out before a download is possible.