Are you sure you know about trees and risk???

Peter Sterken

Too often, arboriculture has rigidly focused on easy-to-understand, but simplistic and erroneous theories. Perhaps partially because a lot of people have made money thanks to them (which is totally understandable and respectable, in a sense).
However... if we stay within the limits of those theories, then our mind will possibly not be able to devise the path of evolution. Read here the article Nature on tree risk assessment

I have found that much of the training I have received has been very good and the instructors have often gone above and beyond in what they have taught in the time available.
But I do think that the NPTC City and Guilds Trainig does have one major failing.
At the moment the majority of the training is all about:

1) Health and Safety
2) The safe use of the equipment training
3) Doing the correct cuts

But there is in my opinion a needs for a separate module where they teach more of the basics about the Bio-mechanic, decay, fungus issues, Strengths and weaknesses of different species and the effect of these factors when working or climbing them, dealing with problems like trees with Die-Ash Back and other problems.
There is a lot that is taught, but I do feel that there is a lot that is also not taught.

• Like 1