Rugged Phones

Spruce Pirate

4 hours ago, Big J said:

I live my life on a headset. It means that when people need to get in contact with me, they can. 

Also, when I'm machine operating it means I have access to the world of podcasts, Youtube and Radio 4. I'd get very bored indeed without the phone.

The headset in question is a Peltor WS Alert XP. Also very highly recommended - I think mine is now getting on for 5 years old and works as well as the day I got it. They are expensive (£250-350, depending on how lucky you are on eBay), but well worth it.

On a serious note download a podcast and some music and put phone on aeroplane mode.

It will feel good to ignore the world for a bit. Work calls can wait they know you are working and if they don’t like waiting a few hours you really don’t need them in your life. Life has got too fast. Buy today get delivery tomorrow on anything you want! Do we really need to be rushing life so much? 
I know I’m a kind of outsider as I gave up work to look after my boys when the first one came, maybe you neeed a big change like that to take a different look at life?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Richard 1234 said:

On a serious note download a podcast and some music and put phone on aeroplane mode.

It will feel good to ignore the world for a bit. Work calls can wait they know you are working and if they don’t like waiting a few hours you really don’t need them in your life. Life has got too fast. Buy today get delivery tomorrow on anything you want! Do we really need to be rushing life so much? 
I know I’m a kind of outsider as I gave up work to look after my boys when the first one came, maybe you neeed a big change like that to take a different look at life?

You raise many valid points, but I really like being in communication with the outside world. Machine operating on a headset gives me much more time to sit and waffle my way through conversations with family and friends, near and far. I find telephoning without a physical distraction (like operating a forwarder, or driving a car) challenging sometimes. My compartmentalises tasks fairly well, and I can do a couple of things simultaneously without either task being affected. I sometimes get to the end of a story with the kids and have no recollection of what I've just read as I've been daydreaming!

We also sometimes do get sites with absolutely no signal. Had one in August/September and the best you could hope for is a few messages might come through at the top of the site. That was it though.

1 hour ago, Big J said:

. I sometimes get to the end of a story with the kids and have no recollection of what I've just read as I've been daydreaming!

Have you ever checked with the kids what they think the story was about ? 😄

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Big J said:

You raise many valid points, but I really like being in communication with the outside world. Machine operating on a headset gives me much more time to sit and waffle my way through conversations with family and friends, near and far. I find telephoning without a physical distraction (like operating a forwarder, or driving a car) challenging sometimes. My compartmentalises tasks fairly well, and I can do a couple of things simultaneously without either task being affected. I sometimes get to the end of a story with the kids and have no recollection of what I've just read as I've been daydreaming!

We also sometimes do get sites with absolutely no signal. Had one in August/September and the best you could hope for is a few messages might come through at the top of the site. That was it though.

I miss bedtime stories🥲

edit reading them not listening 😂

Edited by Richard 1234
  • Haha 1