Chainsaw file sizes

Scuttlefish

I use Stihl chains, and use a 5.2 mm round file  for my 3/8 chain, as recommended.  I have seen a few comments suggesting that as the teeth get smaller on re sharpening it is a good idea- with Stihl chains at least  - to move to a 4.8 mm file for the last few sharpenings before throwing the chain. Does anyone out there actually do this, or do most users just carry on with a 5.2 until the chain is gone ?

Edited by Scuttlefish
Spelling mistakes

7 minutes ago, Scuttlefish said:

I use Stihl chains, and use a 5.2 mm round file  for my 3/8 chain, as recommended.  I have seen a few comments suggesting that as the teeth get smaller on re sharpening it is a good idea- with Stihl chains at least to - to move to a 4.8 mm file for the last few sharpenings before throwning the chain. Does anyone out there actually do this, or do most users just carry on with a 5.2 until the chain is gone ?

I do if I have a 4.8 to hand . This is with any make of chain .

You get a bit less hook as the tooth gets smaller ie the file is sitting higher, just take it out the file holder (if you use one) and file down a bit in to the gullet.  So you get a bit more of a C shape when you view it from the outside of the tooth.

theres always other ways to do something, you just have to know them and try them.

personally, I use a progressive depth gauge, and It changes the way the tooth angle meets the wood, but I also use a file holder and I take it out of the holder at times 😉👍

• Like 1

Nah the stihl one, I only use the hardwood setting,

edit.. I only use this on all my chains whatever make of chains

my advice would be get a new chain sharpen it and then use this tool and see the difference it makes. As the tooth gets smaller you may only have to file the depth gauges  a few times and you already have the correct angled ramp. It sucks doing it to an older chain as there’s a lot of filing ( to get the correct ramp angle) and only a small bit of  tooth left

WWW.STIHL.CO.UK

For manual reworking of the depth gauge. Made from hardened steel with special coating. Two settings for...

Edited by Wonky
Edit
  • Like 1

Nah the stihl one, I only use the hardwood setting,
edit.. I only use this on all my chains whatever make of chains
my advice would be get a new chain sharpen it and then use this tool and see the difference it makes. As the tooth gets smaller you may only have to file the depth gauges  a few times and you already have the correct angled ramp. It sucks doing it to an older chain as there’s a lot of filing ( to get the correct ramp angle) and only a small bit of  tooth left

ea06465e90084f06ba3a189072f5ec7a.jpg WWW.STIHL.CO.UK
For manual reworking of the depth gauge. Made from hardened steel with special coating. Two settings for...  
I bought one of those but wasn't convinced, maybe a good tip to try on a new chain.
  • Like 1