Unhealthy Hornbeams and more

ABtrees

Help ?

My trees are suffering.  I have recently lost a whole load of spruce,  more than a few Oaks have died off along with some of the Alder and now to cap it all the Hornbeams are dying too.

The Hornbeams worry me the most.  I have a feeling that this is some sort of canker (first picture)but (as I have said many times on here) most of my opinions are just guesses. Will someone definitively tell me what this is and what (if anything) I can do about it pls.?  The trees get to look pretty sick and then when I fell them most of the tree is already dead.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

AB

20211113_123936.jpg

20211113_124211.jpg

20211113_125112.jpg

8 hours ago, arbwork said:

unfortunately looks similar to 'Phytophthora ramorum ' if you look here some info with similar pictures 

Thanks very much for that heads-up.  Rather alarmingly it does indeed look like that could be what it is.  I've just spent the last hour reading up on it and none of it is good - it would appear it's all over France, devastating much of their forest and woodland.  Looks like I've got a very busy Xmas break coming up - but at least I'll be keeping warm !!!  I'll keep you posted.

Think that recent wet mild weather (climate change etc) may also be making stuff like this more common & worse? 😑

Where is this?

Just noticed that  red squirrels have barked  the hormbeam i planted even  I  thought they weren't suppose to do that...

Seems hornbeam isn't supposedly very  suspectible to ramorum not much reference to it?

P. pseudosyringae maybe ?

<p><i>Nothofagus</i>is a deciduous tree native to Chile and introduced into Britain over 100 years ago. Small-scale...

Edited by Stere

3 hours ago, Stere said:

Think that recent wet mild weather (climate change etc) may also be making stuff like this more common & worse? 😑

Where is this?

Just noticed that  red squirrels have barked  the hormbeam i planted even  I  thought they weren't suppose to do that...

Seems hornbeam isn't supposedly very  suspectible to ramorum not much reference to it?

P. pseudosyringae maybe ?

<p><i>Nothofagus</i>is a deciduous tree native to Chile and introduced into Britain over 100 years ago. Small-scale...

Again, Stere - thanks for your input. 

Following arbwork's lead this morning, I had done a couple of hours reading and convinced myself it was P. ramorum and then you come up with that as a really good alternative shout, especially as it specifically mentions hornbeam's susceptibility.  What I did read is that apparently chestnuts are susceptible to ramorum and we have v.healthy sweet and horse, so (again) you may be on to something !

Am I right in thinking that the only way to be sure is to have it tested ?   And in any event I assume it's bad news and the affected trees should be taken out asap ?  Presumably firewood ???

It's in central France btw.  And as for the squirrels, we don't have any greys only reds and can't say I've noticed any damage on my young hornbeams - that's not to say it hasn't happened you understand, just that it's not at a level that I've noticed !  That said, our wood is fully naturally regenerating - haven't planted anything in the last 15 years !  Main problem is deer and they seem to generally prefer my apple trees or young walnut !

Oh and I agree on the weather btw.  What we need (and used to have) is a properly cold winter (lower than -10 C) - that would slow a lot of this stuff down a bit.

20211111_164806.jpg

Edited by ABtrees