P.D.A or Uni

jayman

I went to Uni after my ND in arb. I started a course in Environment, Economics and Ecology at York and it was hardcore. After one year I quit and jumped onto Archaeology, just for the sake of getting a degree but ended up enjoying it. So far its got me no where and part of me would like to go back in time and do something arb related. However I had some experiences that I'll never forget and that kind of makes it worth it. Being in debt is not that cool and while some people decide to pay it back quick as poss, I've decided to pay off my highest interest loans while paying back the minimum to the student loans company.

What I would say is don't be fooled into thinking that getting a degree will get you a high pay job as it won't, unless you have some idea of what you want to do with it and specialize within your degree. Right now I'm constantly volunteering and grabbing all the training I can to add feathers to my cap and its amazing how many doors seem approachable now.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your thinking of doing a Pd course then i would recommend Dave dowson and Andy summerly at tree life training. I did the tech cert with them and found they were a wealth of knowledge! also the pre managment course i did with them was very, good and prob key to me passing my course.

Home

I know the course is expensive including buying all the books, surveying kit etc but if you budget whilst working and do the 1 day every 2 weeks then its very acheivable.

Good luck on what you decide to do.

Apparently this year is the last intake for the PD arb with Treelife as the qualification is being phased out. I am looking forward to whatever replaces it as I couldn't commit to starting it this year.

Doh was looking forward to doing that myself.:thumbdown: But lets hope its as good or better :thumbup:

Thanks every one for the advice, i think i am going to do the uni (landscape design) then go back to an arb qualification after that just to expand my horizons a little but i want to finish up in the arb industry. Just going through the loan forms for uni at the moment and you need a bloody uni degree just to understand them !!!

hi im 29 and relatively new to this game, you say you have the P.D.Arb ? is it worth having/doing ? , i have the NC arb I'm doing the NA arb now then uni (landscape design) for 3 years then i want to get back to arb by doing either the AA tech cert or the PD Arb. what do you think ,is there a better route?

i did it when it was all one paper, and my claim to fame is i was the first known dyslexic candidate to take the qual.

it is very well respected by those that know it, but wander out side the tree world and it is little herd of.

did mine by self studt but had done the cert arb and tech cert before.

i would higly recomend a cource of stady and the qualification, but for the long run a degree is worth wile. i also have some forestry and hort quals and i found having this range of knowlege has helped a lot in trees and also in passing exams.

at the end of the day though you need to make a choise, as i would also stress the importance of practical experiance.

good luck

i truly belive education and experiance together just as a point

yours vsbmaster K R Moore. MIOSH,MOSJ,F.Arbor.A, MIfL, Cert.Ed, CErt.Arb,Tech.Arb,P.D.Arb

Tech cert is a very good alternative.

I tried FDSc and failed due to time constraints and work load/deadlineare quite tough. Tried the PD Arb too failed, lack of effort if I'm honest, but took the AA Tech Cert exam as a back up and passed. This is a level 3 qualification which is the minimum requirement of the AA to be able to inspect trees. Some of the short courses like Lantra Prof Tree Inspection, VTA compliment this very well, and of course the ISA Cert Arb, at level 2 should be a doddle.